Chpt 10

Mallory's pov:
Me and chris start chowin down, I got fries too and dipped them in my ice cream. He looks at me like I just hurt a baby "what are you doing..." "oh my god you don't do this!?" "No... im not a psychopath ..." I laugh "try it!" I pull my legs up and sit with my back facing the door and my body facing chris. He does the same. He dips a fry in his ice cream and eats it. As much as he wants to act like it's not gas.. it is.. "okay... okay it's not bad..." "your welcome..." there's a silence for a moment, not awkward.. just silent. "Why did we wait till now to be friends? I ask. "Who says we're friends?" "No but actually" I look at him and wait for a response. He thinks for a minute. "I don't really know to be honest. I guess we just rubbed each other the wrong way." That I can agree with. "We both judged a book by its cover." He adds as he shoves fries into his mouth. "Mhm and what's my cover exactly?" I say with a confused look on my face.

"Well I mean.. when I first saw you I just thought you were the spoiled brat next door. Nice house, nice things, nice looks, nice family. It annoyed me in a way. How could A person be so effortlessly perfect. No struggle what so ever. So I decided YOU annoyed me instead of the things I envy'd you for having, And from there on out I had it set in my head that I didn't like you.." he looks up at me "that sounds way worse now that I said it out loud.."

My jaw drops. "WHAT?!, THATS what you thought of me? Really?" I say with my jaw still dropped. "Well yea" he shrugs. "Chris that isn't at all accurate!" "How so?" He asks taking a sip of his drink. "For starters, I'm not perfect. I've struggled just like everyone else" he kinda squints his eyes, still not buying it. HATE to trauma dump but...

"We moved here when my dad passed away. Jeremy isn't my dad. I just call him dad cause he gets angry when I don't. Me and my mom almost had to live on the streets once my real dad passed. Until she met Jeremy. He's fucking mean and stupid... but he provided for me and my mom and he took care of us, So we stayed. They have fought every night for as long as I can remember, screaming and throwing shit at each other. They still do. I may have nice things but at what price... he likes to fuck up and then try and buy my love back... Like when I took Nick to the Beyoncé concert.. I didn't just buy the crazy expensive tickets, Jeremy got like really really drunk and said all this god awful stuff to me right Infront of Nick, it was so embarrassing... So instead of apologizing he gave me the tickets."

Chris looks at me with a genuinely sad look on his face. "Shit.. I'm sorry..." I understand how awkward this must be... "it's okay, you didn't know!" "Well I do now." He says reaching out to give me a hug. It was short but sweet.

"But um... let's talk about how you said I have good looks?" I say poking his shoulder "oh god.." he face flushes red. "You think I'm pretty huh??" "Absolutely not" we both laugh for a second, he can deny it.. but we both know the truth. It gets quite and I decide to play work out by j. Cole. We both bob our heads and finish eating.

"You ready to Go?" I ask "yea!" He replies bucking his seatbelt. As we're driving home we cross by a carnival filled with rides and games. "LOOK!" I say slowing down. "What?" Chris says looking around. I point to the brightly colored area. It was one of those lowkey ghetto carnivals that stay up all the time. "Oh shit! we have to go!" He says unbuckling his seat belt. "Are you being serious?" I ask. "YES!" I pull the car into the parking lot and park. Me and Chris run like little kids in a candy store into the carnival.