Chapter 8

"She's a maze
with no escape."

The walk down to the Hogsmeade station was filled with endless chatter courtesy of Gen. She left out no detail describing her family's planned trip to their winter home in France. According to her, it had grand windows that looked out onto their snowy backyard, which was framed by the forest and mountains behind them. She was certainly excited about returning there.

Callista, herself, would be returning to her family home where they would attend endless dinners and parties as her parents made more connections with wealthy families and ministry officials. Her mother would have her wear dress made only by her to show off her work and her father would introduce her to everyone, letting him see his eldest daughter.

Stellan and Freya would experience only some of it. As long as they were polite and out of everyone else's way, their mother let them do what they want.

Her group reached the platform and stopped to wait to board. Callista turned her head and looked for James. He would be staying at Hogwarts for his final Christmas here, and she wanted to say goodbye.

She spotted him standing with the rest of the Marauders and a group of Gryffindor girls. She turned to her own group. "I'm going to go say bye to James," she said. They all nodded and she walked over to James.

She glanced at the girls, hoping they would not object to her presence and tapped James on the back.

He turned around, his brows furrowed. His face light up as he saw her standing behind him. "Cal!" He shouted and pulled her into a hug.

She wrapped her arms around his neck and said, "Enjoy your Christmas, James."

He pulled back. "It's a shame you can't stay. We're going to prank the remaining Slytherins." His eyes lit up, filled with mischief, at the thought of it.

She chuckled. "And be a victim of another of your pranks? No thank you." She remembered the gift she had to give him. "I'll owl you your gift." She did not trust him to wait until Christmas morning to open it.

"Why can't you give it to me now?"

"You know why," she scoffed, though her smile quickly returned and she pulled him into another hug.

She hugged each of the Marauders, Sirius complaining about how James got two hugs, and Remus whacking him on the arm. She waved goodbye to Lily and Alice, who were among the Gryffindor girls and offered a smile to the rest. It was not returned.

She returned to her group, but not before hearing the grave tone of Marlene McKinnons voice.

"I wouldn't be surprise if she came back with a Dark Mark."

~~~

The train ride was uneventful, as always, but Aidan bought everyone Cauldron Cakes from the sweet cart as an early gift. They would all likely see each other again. Each of their families often hosted dinner parties and balls during Christmas, so it would not be long before they did.

She gazed out of the window and wondered what would come of the Christmas break. Marlene's words disturbed her. She very well could be coming back to Hogwarts with a Dark Mark staining her forearm. She hoped that would not be the case.

She knew her parents were not involved with Voldemort but they were involved with other Pureblood families. Families that pressured them into being alike. With all of the other children growing up and joining Voldemort's ranks for their families, her parents may pressure her into joining too. They would rather be on his good side, as a family that shows support.