Chapter 24

"You outshine everything, even the sun
at it's zenith."

True to his word, James made sure to plan out a whole day at Hogsmeade for her. She was meant to meet him in the town and that worried her . Whatever he was up to, had to be big and detention-worthy.

For now, Rabastan offered to walk her down, though she suspected it had more to do with his small rivalry with James than actually wanting to spend time with her.

"Aren't you cold?" She wrapped her scarf tighter around her neck as she looked up at him. He only wore a thin jacket over his shirt.

He gave her a look. "It's the middle of Spring."

She wrapped her arms around her in defense. "And it rained last night. It's cold."

He shook his head, laughter falling from his lips. "You're always cold." He nudged her hand and she dropped it from it's place around her arm and let him grab it. "Somehow you have the warmest hands, but you're always freezing."

She half-heartedly tried to tug her hand from his but he held on tighter. "And your hands are like ice!" She laughed and gave up the struggle, resting her hand comfortably in his." It scared her how easy it was to fall back into rhythm with him after she found out he was a Death Eater.

The stares they got had gone not gone unnoticed. She almost felt bad for joking around with him after the news they got this morning. 14 people had been killed by Death Eaters the previous day, 3 of them muggleborns. When she had read the paper she had been devastated. Now she was laughing with someone who would soon be doing the same thing. Killing muggles and muggleborns.

She looked at him. Would he even do it? Kill them? Would he mourn them?

They reached the small town and spotted James waiting there. Callista waved and he nodded back, half a smile forming on his face. He nodded to Rabastan too, who returned it. When they reached him, Rabastan turned and looked at her. "I'll see you later. I'm going to go find Aidan and Magorian."

She nodded. "I'll see you then." He reached down slightly to kiss her on the corner of her lips, lingering longer than necessary. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw James roll his eyes.

Rabastan pulled away and smiled, heading to the Three Broomsticks. James looked at, whatever he was going to say falling from his mind as his expression changed to disbelief. "A scarf? It's Spring!"

She shook her head, laughing and hooking her arm with his. "So, what are the plans for today?"

"Well Honeydukes obviously. And then Zonko's."

"Absolutely not. I did not come here to get into detention. I already had to sit detention because of you yesterday."

He laughed. "Okay, okay. We'll skip Zonko's. But we have to go to The Three Broomsticks. I have waited to long for Butterbeer."

She gave him a side-eyed look. "Don't you sneak some into the castle anyway?"

"I-yes. But Lily made me stop when we started dating. Because technically it was stealing." He shrugged.

She laughed, recalling the study session that was really just a hang-out session when Lily brought a stash of Butterbeer. That was long after they started dating. Maybe she found his stash and decided to teach him a lesson. He was rubbing off on her.

"Potter!" A voice called, hints of an Irish accent poking through. They looked over to the source of the voice. A group of Gryffindor sixth years stood across from them. The voice came from the girl in front, her hair pulled tight against her head before falling back into a cascade of light brown coils. She was on the Quidditch team. She nodded to him. "Sure you want to be spending all your time with the snakes? Aren't you worried you might come back dirty." She sneered on the last word.

"Piss off, Miriam," He said with a sigh, not in the mood for a fight. They carried on walking.

"Suit yourself!" She called, and the group walked away, laughing.

James looked at her, noticing the change in her demeanour. So slight, only he could ever notice. "Ignore them. They're a bunch of pricks anyway."

She sighed. "I know. I suppose I'm used to it." She had been, once. It was harder with the people closest to her judging her. She knew James meant well, but he never had to live the way she has. Never been forced to make horrible choices. He did not understand that there was an inbetween in the good and the bad. He wanted her to be safe and he saw safe as the good side.

"Hey," he linked their arms again, "I'd say a really good chocolate wand should cheer you up."

She grinned. "Don't forget the sugar quills."

He looked forward, his characteristic lop-side grin brightening his face, and her mood. "How could I? They're your favourite."

They were her favourite. She looked at him and rest her head against his arm. He was always just that much taller than her. She hoped this war did not tear them apart because if it did, it would destroy her.

________________________________________

So sorry for the late update I was busy with school and exams have just started. Also power has been off for like over 24 hours now lol

Also i know i said this would be up wednesday but i dont know when i'll have power again

Next update maybe sunday and then wednesday again

- walkingmasterpiece xx