Chapter 25

"If the whole world
was watching,
I'd still dance
with you."

Wisps of fell out of the ponytail that Callista had put her up into. It was coming loose as she walked, rather quick, to the common room to finish the homework for her next class.

Despite exams starting in less than a month, teachers were still setting homework with unreasonable due dates. She only heard of her Transfiguration essay after class yesterday and had not had time to do it until now, during her free period. It was down by twenty minutes because the Ancient Runes teacher kept them in for ten and it took another ten to make it back to the dungeons.

Someone called her name and she whipped around, much too fast, almost crashing into the poor Hufflepuff girl trying to catch up to her. She was in her third or fourth year by the softness in her features.

"Yes?" She tried to stand still, anxious to get her work done.

"This is for you and your brother and sister." She handed her three pieces of card, folded over with a wax stamp sealing each one.  "A Slugclub party. For the fifth and seventh years to relax before exams." Her voice still had that young high-pitch to it. Definitely a third year.

"Oh, okay. Thank you." She smiled and the girl ran off. She turned and continued her quick walk to the common room. A Slugclub party? She could use that to relax.

She opened her letter as she walked into the common room. Oh. It was tonight. How was she meant to get ready and still do all her homework.

She sighed, flopping onto the chair next to Rabastan. She leaned half against him.

He did not take is eyes off of his essay. "What took you so long?"

"Professor Avis kept us in to talk about NEWTs." She sat forward and pulled out her books and parchment to begin her essay.

The clock chimed and she looked up, everyone packing up around her. Next period had begun. She groaned and pressed her forehead against the table.

Her friends laughed. "I'm sure McGonagall won't mind," Magorian snickered. He rubbed her hair, messing up the ponytail she had done, as he walked passed. She was getting detention no matter how hard she pleaded.

~~~

As she expected, she received detention, though she was not alone. James had thrown out his essay as well, so that he could go to detention with her. He spent more time in detention than he did class and she would have scolded him any other day but she was grateful for what he did.

Now, they sat together in Slughorn's office. Rabatsan sat next to her and Lily was next to James. Of course Slughorn would put the two couples together. What could go wrong?

What could go wrong, did. James was glaring at Rabastan throughout the entire dinner. He only glared back. Then he would whisper something in her ear, only to have James pull her into another conversation immediately after. She loved the boy but he really did not want her liking her future husband at all.

After both her and Lily were fed up with the two of them, and with the end of dinner, they both got up and moved to the drinks table, looking for a glass of punch. They looked arms and walked away, leaving the boys with their mouths agape as they watched them leave.

"The two of them will be the cause of my first grey hair when I'm 20."

Lily glanced back at them. "With as long as you've been friends with James, I'm surprised you aren't already." An expression of disbelief covered her features.

"It's my incredible self-care routine. I don't know how long it will last now though." She unhooked her arm from Lily's, grabbing a glass and filling it with punch. She handed it to her and went to pour one for herself.

"Hey Cal, Lily," the familiar voice of Amelia said from behind them.

"Hi. Enjoying the party?" Lily asked, a smile brightening her face.

"Surprisingly not as bad as usual." Kai laughed. They were the only two Hufflepuff's in Slugclub, both in the same year as them.

"Where's Fallon?" Amelia asked, looking around. They got on well during the study sessions.

Callista leaned back, putting her weight on one leg. "She said she was coming, but I honestly think she's using this time for some much needed sleep."

"Oh, okay. I could have gone with some sleep myself," she sighed.

"Sleep would be amazing right now," Genevieve added, walking up from behind them. "My feet are killing me."

"You chose to wear those heels, Gen," Callista laughed.

She gave her a look. "Would you have worn anything else?"

She mock-gasped. "Of course not. Anything else would have been a crime." Her outfit was truly stunning. A black satin dress that fell to her mid-calves. It hugged her body in all the right places and the fabric ruffled in others, complimenting her figure. Her shoes, however, were the star. They were these stunning closed-toe stiletto heels with an intricate gold detailing all over.

Her own dress was a pale pink satin slip dress with ruffling along the left front side creating an asymmetrical look. It was one her mother made and sent a few weeks ago for her to wear at one of Slughorn's parties.

From behind the head's of her friends she could see James and Rabastan walking over to them, and to her surprise, not at each other's throats. They stopped when they reached them. "Gossiping without us?" James said, wrapping his arm around Lily's waist. She smiled and reach up to kiss his cheek. A light pink tint crept along his cheeks.

Rabastan moved to her side and reached out his hand. "Honour me with a dance?" He smiled.

She raised her eyebrows, a smile creeping onto her face. She placed her hand in his. "Of course, kind sir." A laughed slipped out and she bit her lip to contain it. She did not look back at her friends, not wanting to taint the moment with looks of judgement or hate for man beside her.

He led her to the dance floor and brought his other hand to her waist. She brought hers to his shoulder and they began swaying to the music that was playing.

"You look beautiful tonight," He said, looking into her eyes.

She smiled. "Thank you." The words came out as a whisper. She could feel everyone's eyes on her, but she did not mind. Let them watch, she thought. They could see how happy she was.

"You know, the next time we dance like this might be at our wedding."

She sighed, readjusting her hand on his shoulder. "I would not be surprised if they set the wedding to a day after we graduate."

"Don't be ridiculous. They would postpone our graduation for the wedding."

She laughed. "Well in that case, I guess I'll just have to dance with you more often. Like this. Just us."

His face softened as he looked at her. "Just us. I like that." He pulled her closer to him, close enough that their chests were touching, but far enough that they still had room to move around.

"Me too." She leaned forward and rest her head against his chest. He leaned his cheek against her head, his grip tightening on her waist.

"I-," He began but the music changed to something more upbeat and people flooded to the dance floor.

She pulled away. "Yes? What is it?" Her eyes glanced over his face, trying to figure out what had disturbed him.

He shook his head, offering her half a smile. "Nothing. You look beautiful. Did I mention that?"

She smiled. "Only once or twice."

________________________________________

Hope you enjoy! Also a day early but I don't know when I'll be on WiFi again lol

Ah seventh year is coming to an end. Only a few more chapters until they enter the real world.

- walkingmasterpiece xx