Chapter 19

"The willing, destiny guides
them. The unwilling,
destiny drags them."

A leaf fell onto Callista's parchment as she sat in the shade under a tree in the Hogwarts grounds. Genevieve had dragged the group outside to study in the sun that appeared after a full week of hiding behind the clouds. The rest of her friends, save for Rabastan who leaned over her shoulder and brushed away the leaf, sat in the sun. As for her, she was not excited for the heat that would come with the season progressing further into Spring and then Summer.

"Wait, your essay is different from mine," Rabastan said, glancing back and forth between the two essays.

Not lifting her eyes from her own essay, Fallon said, "It's generally supposed to be."

Callista sighed and glanced at his Charms essay. She continued writing her own essay. "You're doing it on the wrong spell."

"What?" He scanned through his essay. "Isn't on Incendio?"

She looked at him in bewilderment. "We did Incendio in First Year. It's Acendio."

"We did it last year too," He mumbled.

Fallon looked at him with a raised eyebrow. "We did revision on it."

"Same thing." He leaned further over Callista's shoulder, his chest pressing against her back as he read through her own essay.

Her breath caught in her throat at his closeness but she forced herself to finish her conclusion and let him read through it. He moved back and Callista released her breath.

"This makes so much more sense."

"Obviously, we did it in class yesterday."

"I wasn't paying attention."

Aidan threw a scrunched up piece of parchment at him. "No, you were too busy staring at Callista." Staring at her? Why would he be staring at her?

Rabastan caught it and threw it back. "How would you know? You spent the whole class staring at Emmeline Vance."

His face turned red and the boys laughed.

"Vance?" She asked. "You like her?"

"No," Aidan said but his voice betrayed him.

"Ask her out." Genevieve encouraged, sitting up, her face lighting up in excitement. She loved a good romance.

"Nah," Aidan shook his head. "She wouldn't like me."

Callista's own experience with Emmeline was limited but she could see where Aidan was coming from. She was friends with quite a few Gryffindors who were quite vocal in their dislike for Slytherins. Aidan was not perfect, but he had a good heart. She knew it would not last as the war progressed and he was dragged further into the Dark Arts.

~~~

The day progressed and soon Callista was getting ready to sneak into the Gryffindor Common Room to celebrate James' birthday. Earlier that day James had said she could bring Fallon and Genevieve but she could see that he was wary about them. He still held so much discontent for Slytherins but she had stopped trying to change his mind.

Fallon laid back on her bed, throwing an apple into the air and catching it. "How long to I have to stay?"

Genevieve looked at her and frowned. "We're going to keep our friend company, we stay as long as she does." Her voice was stern.

"Stay for about an hour or two and then I'll just annoy Remus, if Sirius isn't all over him." She opened at the door and looked back to them, gesturing for them to leave.