Chapter 26

"Sometimes we love with
nothing more than
hope. Sometimes we cry
with everything except
tears."

The sun glared down upon the students of Hogwarts that afternoon. It was a Sunday, a day most often enjoyed lounging in the sun. Though, now, students tried to find some shade as they combatted the Spring's attempt at a Summer's day.

Callista sat under a tree, her back against it, claiming the small shady spot it offered. It had not yet fully bloomed and had many patches in its branches. Upset with the unfairness of the situation, Fallon chose to sit on her lap. She had tried to shove her off but gave up when she realised the effort would only heat her up more. To make it worse, Rabastan had squeezed in next to her, trying to take some shade for himself.

The others all chose to stay inside, hoping the Slytherin common room would offer something cooler as it was underground.

Footsteps crunched against the grass towards them. Callista looked towards the sound and, to her surprise, saw Lily and Marlene walking towards them. She whispered to Fallon, "Incoming."

She looked up and grumbled, "Not McKinnon." They had never gotten along.

Callista shoved Fallon off her lap and smiled at the two who had reached them. "Hi, Lily, McKinnon." She had no idea where she stood with her after the animosity at James' birthday party.

Lily grinned, but she sensed the hesitation in it. "Hey Callista. Do you guys want to come down to the Black Lake? Some of us are swimming down there."

She nodded, looking at her friends. Rabastan shrugged. "Sure," She said, looking back at them.

Rabastan got up and held out his hand. She grabbed it and let him pull her up, dusting off stray pieces of grass that had come up with her.

Fallon sighed, getting up. "I guess I'll just help myself up then."

"It's not like you had anyone crushing your legs," Callista argued, her tone light. "You coming?"

"Yeah," she said.

They started walking, Marlene and Fallon ahead. Callista overhead the conversation between them.

"I suppose I'm sorry for being so hostile towards you. It's in my nature, I guess," Marlene said.

Fallon shrugged. "Don't worry about it. It's in my nature too." She smirked.

She turned her focus back to Lily, who said, "I really wish we could have been friends earlier."

"Me too. But I guess we're friends now, so we still have plenty of time." She hoped the war would not cause a rift between her and her new friends. And old. She did not know if she handle James hating her. Or Remus. Or Sirius. They all held so much hate for the Black family. Would they hate her for not getting out? For choosing to stay even if they did not understand why?

"James wasn't sure if he should invite you. After the whole thing with Marls on his birthday. He said he didn't want to you to be upset. He loves you so much." She looked at her as she walked. "But I spoke to Marls, and she agreed to come with to invite you. And apologise, but I think she wants to do that with just the two of you. She means well, but she can be harsh sometimes."

"I understand. My friends aren't exactly the friendliest bunch at Hogwarts."

They reached the shore of the Black Lake and saw the Marauders with a few other Gryffindors and Ravenclaws. She noticed Kai was also there, alone with Amelia, Reece, Anya, and Sidney.

Lily looked at them, smiling. "I also invited some of our mutual friends, so you'd be more comfortable."

Callista smiled. "Thank you, Lily." It faltered as she saw some of the Quidditch team there, though some relief flooded her when she saw that the girl from Hogsmeade was not with them.