Chapter 29

"i'm jealous of your pillows
and of your sheets
i want to hear the sound
of your heartbeat"

Callista walked out of the Slytherin Common Room beside Severus, the only one in her group to take Herbology. They were about to write their first exam. She believed she was prepared. The day before was spent recalling all the information on her notes. Names of plants. Properties of plants. Were they dangerous or harmless? 

She whispered her goodluck to Severus and walked off to join Anya and Sidney as they walked into the Great Hall. The four long tables and been removed. In their place were four rows of small tables, one for each student. 

"Find your name!" Professor McGonagall called as more students piled in. 

Callista walked over to the row where the Slytherin table had been and walked over the "G" names. She found her name and pulled out her chair. Sidney sat in the chair next to her. Her surname was Hearst. Anya would have to go a little further to find her name amongst the other Ravenclaws. She smiled at them and left.

"You ready?" Sidney asked, turning to her.

"As good as," she replied. She was ready, so when the teachers called them to begin, she picked up her quill and began writing. The words flowed smoothly and the answers came to her quickly.

~~~

"Quills down!" Professor Slughorn announced.

Callista put down her quill, certain she had aced her final exam of the year. The two weeks of exams had progressed with speed. Tomorrow they would be having their final feast after a day of packing. She did not know how seven years of her life could be coming to an end at an alarming speed.

She stood up after they were dismissed and joined arms with Fallon and Gen. "It's almost over!" Gen announced, sounding awestruck. "It's really almost over."

"That it is." Fallon laughed, shaking her head. "I never have to sleep in these dreadful beds again." She hung her head back in relief. 

"Greengrass!" The unmistaken voice of Sirius Black called from beside them. "Black Lake!"

Fallon threw up a finger at him and he stuck out his tongue in return. "We going?" Callista asked, and the girls nodded.

They turned to the boys behind them who shrugged and followed them outside. Severus excused himself, saying he needed to go pack. Callista knew he would already be packed by now.

Gen turned and grabbed Aidan's hand, dragging him towards the group of Gryffindors, Ravenclaws, and Hufflepuffs forming on the grass by the Black Lake. Fallon and Magorian followed, laughing at Aidan's disgruntled expression.

Callista hung back until Rabastan was next to her. She linked her hand with his and smiled at him. He smiled back, pulling her closer so her could wrap his arm around her shoulders. They reached the group, who chose a spot near some Ravenclaws, and stood behind them. 

She watched as her friends, old and new, spoke and laughed, reminiscing of their times at Hogwarts. Fallon lingered close to Marlene McKinnon, who was slowly leaving her group of Gryffindors to stand closer to the Slytherin. Amelia and Kai sat together, laughing at something Reece said, their yellow scarves bright in the blazing sun.

She set her eyes on James, who was staring at Lily, the sun making her red hair shine brighter. She was laughing at Remus, who was pushed into the Black Lake. Two other Gryffindors joined in, along with James who was dragged in my Sirius, and Lily, who Remus had come out of the water to grab.

Laughing at the scene she rested her head on Rabastan's shoulder. He turned his head and pressed a gentle kiss against her head. She wondered if he was thinking about the same things as she was. Or maybe his focus was on the war. What his new duties would be. Their marriage. That was something she tried not to think about. Merlin knows what plans her mother has already come up with.

She noticed Fallon being dragged in the water by Marlene, soaking her school uniform. Gen sat up straight and laughed. "Fallon in the water? Oh I need to see this up close!" She got up and dragged Aidan up with her. They ran into the water.

Callista turned to Rabastan. "Lets go."

He looked unsure. "My...."

"I know." His mark. She grabbed both of his hands and gave them a squeeze. "Keep your jersey on." 

He closed his eyes and sighed. He opened them, his lips turning upwards. "Fine let's go." 

He let her pull him to the water, which despite the hot weather, was cold as it touched their skin. She pulled them in untill only their heads and shoulders were above the water. Putting her arms around his neck, she played with his hair. She looked into his eyes. "See? It's not so bad."

His hands gripped her waist and pulled her closer, wrapping his arms around her. "Only because I'm with you."

She pressed onto her toes until their noses were touching. He tugged her closer and pressed his lips against hers. 

He pulled away, but not far enough for her to not still be able to feel his breath against her lips. "I love you, Callista Greengrass." 

A grin found its way onto her face. "I love you too, Rabastan Lestrange." She pressed another kiss to his lips, trying to quell her smile to do it.

He pulled away again. "I love you, and I don't give a damn what anyone else has to say about it." She smiled, wanting to say something but he spoke again. "This war, our duties to our families, our futures. I was scared of all of it. I'm not scared anymore. I'm not scared because I have you."

She brought one of her hands to his cheek, once more aware of the cold water against her skin and the sound of joy and laughter around them as more people entered the water. "We have each other. That's all we need."

___________________________________________

Hey loves,

Hope you enjoyed! The way I have an ending for this but still haven't figured out a couple chapters in between lol

- walkingmasterpiece xx