Chapter 9

"What is a home if not
the first place you learn to run from."

An incessant tapping on the window caused Callista to groan in frustration and throw the book that she was trying to read to the side. She sat up and got off of her bed, walking to the window to open it and let the owl in.

It was the Potters' owl. His name was Otto, named after the ottoman that she tripped over when James tackled her into it. The day after, they got the owl, and he thought it was the perfect name. He was a brown owl that flew with a speed that would match James on his broom.

He carried a single letter in his beak. She plucked it from him and turned to rest it on her desk. He fluttered his wings behind her. She chuckled. "Yes, boy, I'm getting you some treats now."

She picked up a jar on her desk that contained small, round owl treats and opened the lid. She grabbed two and turned around, letting him eat from her hand. She reached up her free hand to stroke his head. 

When he was done, he flew off without a second thought. Greedy bird. She pulled out the chair at her desk and sat down, turning to the letter James sent.

She scanned over it. Both he and Sirius had already gotten detention for starting a house-wide snowball fight that ended with multiple teachers being hit. He had also managed to get Lily to join in and was overjoyed by that fact.

She wished she could spend her final Christmas at Hogwarts, but her parents insisted she come home. The only Christmas she spent at Hogwarts was in her fourth year. James and the rest of the Marauders had stayed as well and they spent Christmas together. It was one of her favourite holidays spent with them.

"Cally!" Her brother shouted from behind her closed door. "Get ready! We're having lunch in an hour!"

She heard his footsteps leave. Another family lunch. She wondered which family or ministry member they would have to impress now. Most of their family bonding time was to impress other people.

After spending almost an hour getting ready she left her room and found Freya walking down the hallway. She smiled and hooked her arm with her sister's and the two walked down the many stairs and into the main floor of the house.

"Who do you think we're having lunch with?" Callista asked.

Freya furrowed her eyebrows, casting a glance to her sister. "Mother hasn't mentioned anything. Surely if they were important she would have said something."

Callista hummed in response. It was odd that neither of her parents said anything.

Stellan came skidding from the kitchen, shoving the last bit of a small pie into his mouth. She frowned but happily hooked her arm with his outstretched one.

Freya poked her head out to see Stellan better. "Do you know who we're having lunch with, Stel?"

He shook his head. "I thought you two would know. Maybe it's the Potters. Mother's never too bothered with impressing them."

The got to their dining area and when they walked in they were shocked to discover the only people in the room were their parents.

Freya whispered, "Are we early?"

Caroline stood up and ushered them forward, "Come, children, before the food gets cold." She was smiling a bit too wide for it to be normal.

"Are we not having guests?" Callista asked, somewhat hesitant.

Her father looked up from his work. "No, dear, it's just us."

The three teenagers looked at each other for settling in their seats and beginning their meal. It was odd, but not uncommon. What made it more unusual, however, was her mother's demeanor. She kept glancing at her husband and was acting far too sweet.

Halfway through their meal, Emerson spoke. "Callista, with your age, it's come time to think about getting a husband."

She looked to her mother and then back to her father. "Yes," she began. "I understand. I will make sure my future partner is a good match."

Her mother interrupted. "No, dear, we have already chosen."

Her heart dropped. She glared at her mother. "You told me I could choose my own husband."

Emerson intervened. "It's for the good of the family. We received an offer we simply could not deny."

Her mother sighed. "Dear, he is a good match for you. He is young and apart of a well known family."

She managed to swallow the lump in her throat and the anger that threatened to burst from her. She remained calm, if only for her brother's and sister's sakes. She searched her mind, going through all of the well-known families and could not think of anyone. It could not be one of her friends.

"Who is it?" Her gaze dropped to her food. She did not want to know. She did not want to make it real, but she needed to know.

Her father answered. "Rabastan Lestrange."

She dropped her knife and fork on the table. None dared to utter another word.

She pushed her chair back and began to stand up. "May I be excused?" She forced out, her voice thick with emotion.

"Callista—" her mother tired.

"May," she empathized, "I be excused?"

She did not wait for an answer. She left, not bothering to push her chair back in. She pushed the doors open and let them swing shut behind her.

~~~

In her room, Callista sat on her bed with her legs drawn up to her chest, clutching them tightly. Tears rolled down her face and she made no effort to wipe them away.

Her head turned at the sound of her door open and let out a sob when Freya and Stellan entered. The bed pressed down as they both climbed on to sit beside her. Stellan wrapped his arm around her and she rest her head on his shoulder.

Freya sat beside her, wiping away her tears with a cloth and then cuddling into her side.

She mumbled, "I don't want to marry him."

Freya hugged her sister harder. Her strong, brave sister who never cried. Who took all the family's burdens as her own. Who stood in front of them protecting her younger siblings from the brunt of it all. Her sister who took care of her. Her sister that she would take care of.

"You are strong, Cally," she whispered back. "Never forget that."

Never forget it.

________________________________________

Hi, hope you're enjoying it! <3

– walkingmasterpiece xx