Chapter 11: Secrets

The sun rose, casting its light on the snow-covered mountainous terrain. Carrie traveled to a lake at the Tiger Shrine’s mountain base. Earlier, Jago instructed her to fetch water to start the day. After crossing the bridge, she found a path leading to the basin.

Using the wall for support, Carrie maintained her balance. Her feet stepped on the icy ground, avoiding hidden dips and holes. The ice-cold air chilled her as she walked down the trail. Sunlight reflected off the snow, making the lake serene. A shoulder yoke with two empty buckets kept her upright. After a while, she reached the semi-frozen lake.

Returning to the shrine with added weight will be difficult, but I’ll manage. Carrie set the buckets down. One by one, she filled them with water, with ice floating. She glanced at the worn-down Tiger Shrine standing tall. He must’ve been lonely after his run-in with Gargos. With me around, he won’t fight his inner battles alone. Then, she squinted at the strange flora on the cliff face. That’s weird. What kind—

The ‘foliage’ climbed toward the shrine, halting her thoughts. Carrie gasped at an enormous, rusted bronze arm grasping the ledge. Oh no, I have to reach Jago! She darted up the path, her legs moving with every ounce of strength. God, please keep him safe.

***

Inside the courtyard, Jago chanted a prayer when he sensed a disturbance. He peered over his shoulder as rocks rustling and crumbling reached his ears.

“Hello?” he called. Silence lingered until a heavy scrape came from outside. He held his breath while heading to the shrine’s entrance.

As he moved closer, something smashed against his frame. While recovering, a massive bronze foot emerged, aiming at him. It slammed onto the surface as he rolled out of the way, forming fissures.

On his feet, Jago faced his attacker--an eight-foot-tall, hunchbacked being with crude arms, hands, and feet. Though crafted from aged bronze, the being had missing parts. A mix of plants, vines, and rocks held it together. The creature’s head revealed Akkadian and Mycenaean-styled faces and beards. Two of the faces had archaic smiles.

The third, however, displayed a wrathful expression with an open mouth. Its gems and eyes shone a menacing emerald green with a hint of red.

With a low roar, the giant advanced on the monk. The plants and vines twisted with each movement.

Jago stepped back, preparing himself. What creature is this? Is this one of Gargos’ minions? He hurled a fireball at the giant.

The golem tucked itself in and rolled, crashing through the projectile. 

The monk dodged and threw another fireball.

After unfurling itself, the golem flicked the fiery sphere. After that, it removed a rock from its body. It crushed the boulder into smaller pieces and hurled them.

Jago hid behind a pillar, shielding himself from dust and debris. As he circled the area, rock spikes jutted from the earth. Some almost skewered him. Rolling to the side, Jago winced as one scraped his arm, drawing blood.

While the monk avoided the spikes, the golem erected a wall. Astonished, he stopped at the blocked exit. Jago didn’t have time to react when the golem punched him through several pillars.

Jago groaned as the giant’s only hand lifted him. It pounded the monk through each pillar it erected and slammed him on the stone floor.

Metallic copper stained Jago’s mouth as he coughed up blood. He bounced back enough to spot the golem lifting its foot again. After rolling away from a crushing blow, the monk arose. From a safe distance, he summoned his ki, healing himself. Then, he faced the golem, growling. He punched his palm and shifted to a Tiger stance.