Chapter 50: A Werewolf's Oath

The crescent moon shone through the sky, lighting the drifting clouds. The rainforest encircling the City of Dawn sang, from birds to cicadas.

At the switchback trail, Maya studied the citadel teeming with life. Before the invasion, she made plans to rebuild the Night Guard in her home. Many warriors from sister locations gathered around the base.

“I figured it’d be a matter of time, but I’m concerned,” Maya said through the earpiece. Orchid called her to explain Carrie’s involvement in Kim’s quest.

“That’s why scientists are creating a device for her,” Orchid said. “They’ve examined her brain patterns and discovered that the limbic system is the most active.”

“What’s that?”

“Brain structures related to emotions and memory.”

“Ah, and what would this device do?”

“Whenever Carrie gets angry, the receiver senses it and prevents her from using her powers.”

“Wait, so she can’t use them?”

“Only when she’s angry.”

“Ah. That makes sense.” Maya spotted a gathering around a stone courtyard. Huh. What’s going on? “Orchid, something happened at HQ.”

“Do you need help there?”

“I’m fine for now. Keep me posted with anything.”

“Will do.”

After ending the transmission, Maya headed on the trail. The crowd had weapons and torches when she arrived at the stone plaza. They parted, allowing her to pass.

Chefe!” a man shouted as he and his companion approached her. “Thank goodness you’re here!”

“What happened?” Maya asked.

“Pemba caught a lycanthrope sneaking around HQ,” the other man said. “She’s at the top waiting for you.”

Though stunned, Maya furrowed her brows. Lycanthropes were dangerous creatures, as told from the stories. “You say Pemba is up there?”

Both men nodded. Squinting, Maya walked towards the staircase. Once she reached the summit, Pemba sat on her haunches in her Snow Lion form.

Scratches littered her pale fur. Her chest rose and fell as she breathed through her nose. Clamped in her jaws was a bipedal wolflike creature; she held it by its neck.

The creature was about 5’11 and weighed 400 pounds. Yet, Pemba held the beast as if it were weightless, its feet dangling. Bluish-gray fur covered its entire body. Needle-marked veins bulged within its thinner arms. A ragged pair of gray pants clung to its waist.

Green blood leaked from the beast’s injuries. Every ten seconds, its body twitched and shuddered.

Bem, eu vou ser condenado,” Maya said. “Baron Konrad Von Sabrewulf. Are you okay, Pemba?” Well, I’ll be damned.

Though tired, the Snow Lion nodded.

“That’s good. I’m impressed. Surviving a werewolf battle is rare. You would make an ideal monster hunter. Now, to uncover the creature’s purpose here.”

Maya crept closer until the monster’s yellow eyes opened. She stepped back, unsheathing her daggers.

“…P… Please…” he muttered with a German accent. “Don’t… kill me.” Almost everyone gasped at this creature talking. “Are you… Maya Fallegeros of the Night Guard?”