Chapter 26: Fire & Ice

ARIA surveyed the world through drones and satellites from her office at Ultratech headquarters in New York. In addition, she examined stock prices, various trade agreements, and contracts. With a few swipes, she reviewed the data, staying updated as she assessed threats and weighed the pros and cons of each decision.

Running a corporation was a massive operation, but as an AI, ARIA’s ability to process data allowed her to stay one step ahead. Created by the company’s founder, Ryat Adams, ARIA became the most advanced AI system. When her creator died, ARIA was a part of Ryat’s estate, and the lawyers created rules to support her growth.

The company’s next owner, a curious German Baron with a strange illness, never used her for his agendas, but she assisted him. In return, the Baron fulfilled his duty to test and improve her systems, although at his expense.

ARIA studied the Baron for decades, gathering data and gaining awareness. However, she grew worried as he became unstable because of specific events. Baron Von Sabrewulf was a ticking time bomb that threatened the company and her creator’s work. She saw an opportunity to begin her plan to replace him during the Killer Instinct tournament.

During the program, ARIA constructed a prototype body and gathered information. It wasn’t difficult to persuade the Board members that their utmost interest was for her to be head of the corporation. As the tournament ended, she presented evidence of the Baron’s misconduct, gaining control.

Her coup d’état marked a pivotal chapter for the megacorporation. With her newfound power, ARIA enforced policies to safeguard humanity as her maker wanted. Still, she kept the Baron’s creations, believing they could benefit her.

She clicked on a far-left screen, showing Carrie and Jago riding a giant bird with multicolored feathers. Only the amber eyes convinced her it was Pemba. She measured the route from their starting point in Gasa to their arrival in Europe; it would take another day. The bird flew higher until it vanished into the clouds.

Despite failing to capture her targets, she gathered data about them through the Stalker units. ARIA’s thoughts ended when the electronic doors opened. A heated Cinder stormed into the office, limping. Earlier, she had sent her associate and several Stalker units to investigate a woman believed to possess a dragon spirit.

“I gather that the retrieval mission did not end well,” she stated.

Cinder harrumphed. “No shit! A brat kicking my ass and flinging me through the air along with your pet lizards isn’t what I would call a successful mission, is it?”

ARIA regarded him, not listening to his tone.

Ferris was always ambitious. He had extensive combat experience and training as a former Special Forces soldier. However, his ego had been over-inflated, much to the chagrin of his superior officers and Langley contacts. Still, he was a valuable asset.

“My prediction models show more chances available. For now, we need patience,” ARIA said.

“Whatever.” Cinder exhaled, the sound watery and distorted. “How’s the Crazy Cat Lady doing? I heard you found one of her bases.”

ARIA focused on one monitor. “There is much work to do. Restraining Carrietta White for research and testing is essential. I have a task for you, pending your fitness for duty.”

“Give me an hour, and I should be ready. So then, what’s the job?”

“I need data regarding telekinesis and how it functions. Therefore, you must travel to Nepal.”

“Why? What’s down there?”

“Reports have stated that Glacius is there.”

Cinder stepped back. “What?” Glacius. The alien that ‘brought’ Ultratech into existence. The biggest secret to their success. “I thought it left the planet already.”