Chapter 46: Finding Tusk

The Cyclades scattered across the Aegean Sea, close to the mainland of Greece. Among the archipelago was an island covered in lush flora. Crystal clear water surrounded the islands. Sparks of energy emerged around the coastline, expanding to a ball of light. The colors remained until they vanished, revealing Carrie and Kim.

Carrie scanned the new area. "Where are we now?"

"This island is where Aganos comes to mend from his battles with Kan-Ra." Yeo emerged from Kim in his dragon form. "He rests in a cavern he calls the Forgotten Grotto, where we'll find Tusk. Even now, I sense his presence."

*"Watashi mo sōdesu," Hisako's voice added, startling Kim and Carrie. The latter rested her hand on her chest.

"Geez, Hisako, are you trying to give her a heart attack?" Kim expressed.

*"Kanojo wa genki ni narimasu. Kyarī wa yagate watashi ni narerudeshou."

Kim pinched the bridge of her nose. A small part of her regretted adding Hisako into the group.

"Come, everyone," Yeo said. "The Forgotten Grotto awaits us."

They ventured deeper into the island, where a forested terrain replaced the coast. Scattered remains of ancient Greek columns littered the ground. Birds chirped in the background while other wildlife remained hidden.

"So, how did Tusk become a 'Watchman of the Gods'?" Carrie said. "I read some things about him, but nothing else."

"10,000 years ago, Tusk fought against Gargos until he mortally wounded him," Yeo said. "The Ichoriens saved his life and gifted him a weapon. Upon his return to Earth, Tusk trounced Gargos, forcing the Shadow Lord to flee. Since then, he wandered the Earth until he lost his memories.

"According to Hisako, Gargos sent Shadow Jago to attack Tusk. Since Tusk was immortal, wiping his memories clean would suffice."

"Wait. Hisako, does this mean you were there? Why didn't you stop the attack?"

* "Shadoujago kara no kishū kōgeki wa doko karatomo naku dete kimashita. Watashinidekirukoto wa, kiba to kare no buki o kōri no dōkutsu ni fūin suru koto dakedeshita."

"She said no one predicted the attack," Yeo decoded. "She sealed Tusk and his weapon in an ice cave, allowing him to recover."

Carrie fell silent, recalling Jago's story during their time in Lhasa.

The group continued their trek until they found an ancient temple. Doric columns remained tall without a flat base. Behind the columns was a large, round hollow, leading to the unknown. As they approached the entrance, Hisako growled, gripping her weapon.

*"Mimikku o kanjimashita. Watashitachi wa sono dōkutsu no naka ni ikanakereba narimasen. Kiba ga arimasu."

"She says Tusk is in there, but we must tread with caution," Yeo interpreted. "A Mimic is nearby."

"A Mimic?" Carrie stepped back, remembering the stories from the Alliance.

"It'll be okay," Kim assured. "Besides, you have powers. If that Mimic tries to attack you, you can shove it off in the next dimension. Now let's go save Tusky."

Hisako scuttled into the walls while Kim and Carrie descended from the stairs. Kim almost lost her footing from one step but regained her balance.

*"Ashimoto chūi!" Hisako said.

"Thanks. Quick question: what's it like being a ghost?"

*"Watashi ga nandearu ka, matawa watashi ga dō naru ka o setsumei suru koto wa dekimasen."