Chapter 35: The Tiger and the Dragon

The U-ship flew at hyper-speed, heading to New York, carrying its passengers in its belly. When Orchid and Maya contacted their groups to explain the current events, their followers dislike the idea, but they did not oppose it, for saving the world was important.

Carrie stared at the metal floor before she shifted at the captive. The Ultratech soldier gazed at her as though trying to find the monster. She clenched her jaws as an unseen force slammed the captive's head against the wall.

He grasped his head while sucking air into his teeth. "Hey, stop banging me, you freak!"

TJ drove his elbow against the captive's face. The soldier groaned as he grabbed his blood-leaking nose. "Stop calling Carrie a freak, and thank Jago for saving your stupid ass!"

Jago smiled before he rubbed Carrie's back. "Are you okay?"

Carrie wagged her head slightly. "I still believe it's a trap."

"You're not the only one." Orchid tweaked her weapons. "I hate siding with the enemy, but what choice do we have?"

Maya rubbed the scarab jewel on her chest. "I'm surprised they kept a watch on the Coven."

"You never mentioned them," Pemba said.

"A memory I'm not ardent to this day. I was at the Ural Mountains, seeking the Coven-a group of vampires intending to spread their evil influence to the world. Mira-my sister and partner-accompanied me on the mission. It became grim, and Mira sacrificed herself to save me..." Maya paused, wiping any tears before she continued. "Being a monster hunter is a dangerous job. We've lost members before, but when losing someone close, it hits you hard."

"Attention," ARIA's voice boomed in the speaker. "The Pinnacle is in eight minutes and twenty-two seconds."

The U-ship zipped through the clouds until the city emerged, with portals staining the sky. It landed at headquarters, where the gang stepped out with their hostage. Standing before them was Cinder and a Fulgore unit.

"Glad you're back to normal, Cindy," TJ said. "I guess being a Human Torch carbon copy is not fun when someone almost turns you into a hardened lava statue."

Cinder shuddered from that moment. "Don't remind me. Anyway, the boss sent me to escort you to her office, but first..." He tapped the cyborg. Fulgore teleported itself and the Ultratech soldier away, perhaps to a hospital wing. "Everyone else, follow me."

As Cinder led the crew inside the building, the employees kept their distance from the monster responsible for Black Prom. Carrie ignored the staring, but a firm and gentle grip on the hand from Jago eased her. They approached an elevator, where Cinder pressed a button, and the doors closed. No one uttered a word, except for the music, until a ding signaled the lift to stop, and the doors opened. The gang strolled the halls until they reached ARIA's office.

"This place hasn't changed." Orchid spotted Thunder and Aganos sitting on the stairs. "Thunder! Aganos! They have you as well?"

"Yes, but we're fine," Thunder said. "We had trouble at Sabrewulf's castle; faced someone pursuing the relic: a woman with pale-white skin and gold eyes. Though corrupted, her skills match those of the Night Guard."

Maya furrowed her brows. Was there a traitor in the Night Guard sister locations? Before Maya could solve the puzzle, the automatic doors opened as ARIA arrived in a new frame.

"I'm sure you're aware of the portals emerging from the sky." ARIA showed a picture of Earth stained with portals via satellites. "Where it leads is unclear, but with these entries, something evil lurks. Footage of Kan-Ra from one of my drones confirmed my suspicions."