Chapter 32: Calm Before The Storm

Carrie sat on a chair, tending a sick Thunder in the infirmary. She lifted the cloth from Thunder's head, soaked it in a bucket of water, and wrung it before she placed it back. She sensed a presence but did not glance over her shoulder. "Hi, Orchid."

The former agent stepped inside the room. "Your sensory skills are getting better."

"Jago told me that Thunder was in this Killer Instinct tournament, searching for his brother. What happened to him?"

"Eagle was one of my recruits. He wanted Ultratech to fall because they killed his parents. I sent him to inspect the tournament, but when reports of his 'death' cropped, I learned Eagle was not dead; Ultratech was using him as a base to create the Fulgore unit. Once Thunder and I crossed paths, I informed him of what I discovered. Since then, Thunder has been hunting the Fulgore units."

Carrie shuddered at the thought of a human becoming a machine. "Is having this God-complex worth their souls?"

Pemba arrived at the infirmary before the agent could answer. "Orchid, everyone's at the dungeon to speak with Aganos."

"Okay. Carrie, you go ahead, and I'll keep watch on Thunder."

Carrie followed Pemba, but not without the former glancing at Orchid, sensing a kindred spirit. They arrived at a dungeon beneath the base, entwined with narrow streets. The room was enormous enough to fit twenty elephants or a golem. Jago, TJ, and Maya were talking to Aganos when they spotted the women.

"Care, you and Pemba came in time to meet the big guy!" TJ said.

"You!" Carrie summoned her powers, lifting Aganos.

"Please, don't send me away," the golem said.

"Set him down, Carrie!" Jago said.

"Why? That thing tried to kill you at the shrine!"

"Ultratech had attached a mind-controlling device on him, forcing him to do things he didn't want to do until Thunder destroyed it."

"What he says is true," Aganos said. "I never wanted to hurt him, but the device subdued my self-will. Peer into my mind if you want proof."

Carrie did so as visions flashed in her mind's eye. She found a memory where a fiery humanoid bested Aganos and attached the device to its head. The golem's eyes became red, and various voices shrieked to subdue those against Ultratech.

"You're...you're telling the truth." She set Aganos on the ground, relieving the gang from the tension. "Forgive me if I shoved you away."

"You were protecting Jago, so I understand. Instead, I should thank you. If you hadn't pushed me to Devil's Landing, I would've never met Thunder, and remained a slave to Ultratech. I also heard that you helped in saving him."

"I did nothing except stopping the blood loss."

"Exactly the point. Thunder would've died if not for you," Pemba said.

"I must agree with her," Aganos added. "I've done so much to keep Thunder alive."

TJ patted the golem. "It's okay. We're glad Pemba and Maya brought y'all here before Thunder kicked the bucket, and with perfect timing. We're planning to strike Ultratech."

"Why? Thunder and I had dealt with them."

"Doesn't mean they could retaliate, and the raid that happened last year?" Maya said. "Ultratech murdered my friends and family and releasing Kan-Ra. If only I weren't so reckless in my past missions."

"Don't blame yourself for their actions. I told Thunder I'd help him find his brother since Ultratech had changed him into a machine, so I was already against them until Kan-Ra returns."