Chapter 31: Saving Thunder

Darkness reigned in the Andes, alive with chirping crickets and croaking frogs, but an unusual noise echoed in the forest. Aganos trudged through, the leaves and sticks crunched under its feet. Cradled within its stony, green-rusted arms was Thunder. Injured from his fight with Fulgore, Thunder was getting worse instead of better. Aganos must find help, or it would lose its ailing friend.

The City of Dawn remained quiet, with the Night Guard's base lying beneath the partial ruins. The gang lodged two rooms. Orchid, Maya, Pemba, and Carrie shared one place; Jago and TJ shared the other. Jago read his book on health faults with telekinesis until TJ's scream distracted him.

TJ stirred from his sleep. He patted his groin beneath his sleeping bag. "Oh, thank God. My mini-me is still here."

"Is everything all right?" Jago said.

"Sorry, man. I had this dream that Ultratech had that candiru or whatever the hell Maya called. They planned to slip that thing inside me if I did not surrender. What's with that book you're reading?"

"To help Carrie. She has potential, but the power is straining her heart. I was hoping the book provides clues to the cause of the problem."

"Why do you do it, train Carrie?"

Jago bent a corner on a page and closed the book. "Because there's courage in her heart. With Ultratech aware of her presence, training her is essential. Why you freaked out when I presented you and Orchid to Carrie? You mentioned her name was familiar to you."

Rubbing the back of his neck, TJ glanced away. "Um, I hear things...on the news. There was an incident when someone tried to deface a grave. They mentioned the tomb being Carrie's, but I'm not sure if it's regarding the Carrie we have with us. It could've been anyone with a name like that."

Jago raised an eyebrow. "Really? I'm not too fond of those insulting the dead. It still doesn't explain why you freaked out."

"I guess it must've been a moment for me. Goodnight."

Jago narrowed his eyes while TJ resumed his sleep. He wanted to add pressure on the topic, but he let it be and fell asleep.

Dawn came as the misty clouds covered most of the forest. Carrie stepped outside and clambered on the fallen arch to witness the painted colors in the sky.

"Carrie?" Maya had arrived at the ruined gate. "Mind if I join you?"

Carrie examined her host before she nodded. Maya climbed to the top and sat next to her. "Orchid mentioned you were a hunter. Are the monsters real?"

"They're more real than you can imagine. One thing I have learned in my career is that monsters can take many forms, even humans."

Carrie fell silent, reflecting on her old hometown and how her peers treated her. She glanced at the burn mark on Maya's left leg. "How did you get that?"

"Oh, this? A fiery creature called Cinder gave me this during the raid from Ultratech. The pain didn't emerge at first until I escaped. I arrived at a local village, and the people there treated my injury."

"May...may I touch it?"

Maya mused but nodded.

Carrie moved closer and brushed the twisting burn mark, its textures mixed with smoothness and leather. "Does it still hurt?"

"Whenever I go on one of the old messenger routes for cardio. Once the security is back to speed, I'll show you the route. The steps are rigorous, but the view itself is worth it."