Chapter 15: Decision

Carrie let the news sink into her mind before covering her mouth. Her vision of the lethal tumors confirmed her sense that the mother would die soon. She moved close to Pemba, placing an arm around her shoulder.

While fighting her tears, the woman leaned against the teenager.

“I can’t imagine your pain,” she said. “I lost my mother too.”

Pemba pulled away. “Āmā kasarī gumā’unubhayō?

Stumped, Carrie turned to Jago for help.

“She asked how you lost your mother,” he said. “I’m curious about that, too. If I recall, you didn’t tell the doctor about your family.”

Carrie bit her lower lip. “So, do you remember the monster I mentioned at the hospital? Well, that monster had a friend with one goal: offering us to God to save us from sin. They killed my mother, but I escaped with minor wounds.”

Pemba gasped. “Ē gariba kēṭī! Ajhai, mailē bujhina. Timī duṣṭa kāma garnē mānisa jastō dēkhidainau.

“She’s confused about your ‘damnation,’” Jago said. “Carrie, can you show her?”

Malā’ī kē dēkhā’unuhōs?

“You’ll see.”

Carrie glanced away while settling on a rock by the entrance. Once she extended her left arm, the stone floated.

Pemba’s eyes bulged as the rock remained afloat. After spinning it several times, Carrie returned the pebble to its original position. “Tyō adbhuta! Tapā’īnlē tyō kasarī garnubhayō?

“She wants to know how you lifted the stone,” Jago informed.

“Could you…?” Carrie asked, and the monk obliged. “This power is inherent in me, Pemba. It is half the reason those monsters want me dead.”

Jago repeated Carrie’s words in Nepali.

Ani timrī āmā? Kē unīsam̐ga pani yō śakti thiyō?

“Pemba asked if your mother had it,” Jago said.

“Yes,” Carrie said. “It’s passed from mother to daughter but skipped her.”

Kasaikō niyantraṇa bhandā bāhirakō kurākō lāgi balidāna dinu hum̐daina, baccā pani hō’ina. Tapā’īṁ āphnai tarikāmā viśēṣa hunuhuncha, kyārī, ra ma tapā’īnlā’ī yastō bhāgyamā khuśī chu.

“Pemba says no one should suffer for something nature controls. Everyone has a right to happiness,” Jago explained. “She also says you are unique.”

“So, you don’t think I’m weird… or dangerous?” Carrie asked.

The woman scoffed. “Anauṭhō? Pakkai hō’ina. Khataranāka? Tyō tapā’im̐ yasalā’ī kasarī prayōga garnuhuncha mā nirbhara gardacha. Yasō bhanēpachi hōsiyāra hunuhōs. Janatālē tyastō śaktikō phā’idā uṭhā’um̐chan.

“Pemba doesn’t find you weird but advises caution regarding your powers.” Jago listened as the woman spoke more. “The Gargos Cult is familiar to her. The only problem is the language barrier.” He mused until an idea popped into his head. “Carrie, you also have telepathy, right?”

“Yes?”

“I believe you might connect with us if you concentrate enough. I understand your reservations, but it’s worth a try.”

Carrie mused, weighing her options. On the one hand, she would practice her abilities for the first time since the Black Prom incident. However, the girl disliked invading people’s minds. Not only was it rude, but she feared what she might find. Or better yet, what Jago and Pemba may discover. Relax. You’re not intruding on their privacy, nor will they peer into yours. After much debate, Carrie focused. “Can anyone hear me?”