Chapter 22

We eased open the door, quietly creeping into the room.  Draco stood there, his wand pointed directly at Dumbledore- even if it were shaking slightly. I shifted my gaze- doing a quick sweep, searching for Harry. My eyes settled on a rouge shadow and I nodded at Sevy, signaling him. I crept towards the shadow as Sev stayed where he was. 

"I- I've got a job to do." 

"Well, then. You must get on and do it, my dear boy," I gritted my teeth- Dumbledore was seriously taunting Draco. At a time like this. 

"Harry," I hissed- ignoring my anger for the time being, "Stay silent and still, I've got to keep both you and Draco safe- the adult's battle is not our fight." The shadow I was talking to swayed slightly and I took that as confirmation. Staying carefully in the shadows I made sure to be within reach to grab the boys if needbe. 

"Yeah, well, you still didn't realize who was behind that stuff, did you?" Draco asked 

"As a matter of fact, I did, I was sure it was you," I let out a sharp breath, and making eye contact with Sevy from across the room he nodded. Just one more moment. One more beat and-

Just as Sevy jumped out of the shadows I grabbed Draco and yanked him back on top of Harry and pinned both of them down blocking their view of what was about to happen. 

There was a telltale flash of green and Harry was squirming- crying and shaking- and Draco was no better off. Although he was quieter about it I could still feel him shaking. 

I held them both down until the attempts to get out of my hold settled.  I carefully got off of them, making sure to throw the dislodged invisibility cloak over my shoulder as I helped him up and quickly ushered them out of the room- not allowing them even the slightest glance at the body. 

I did turn around once and I knew with a single glance, the silhouette of Severus standing over the body was something that would stick with me for a while yet. 

~

We made our way down the stairs and to my office, and once there I asked a house-elf- they were so cool weren't they?- to bring two cups of hot tea and sat the boys down.

"The war has begun for the two of you," I said gently causing them to look up at me, 

"Draco- what Dumble-," The hard flinch caused me to pause and shake my head, "What he said at the end. It wasn't right, he was outright taunting you." 

"And Harry- he shouldn't have made you watch that," 

"But to both of you, good or bad, he was an immovable force- the so-called 'protector of Hogwarts'." I said, 

"The war will affect many things- and many will lose their lives," I said softly, getting up and grabbing some weighted blankets- carefully draping the blankets over their still shaking figures. I paused before sighing and adjusting the blankets, 

"I'll be back late- just- just don't blame each other- you'll have enough problems this coming year without the fighting." I excused myself and making sure the house-elf would get them anything they need I went back to Sevy. 

I led him back to his office, handed him some tea, and sat with him in silence. 

When the sun finally peaked out through the curtains I took the cold tea away and headed back to the boys who had settled onto my bed, holding each other close. 

Sighing I asked a house-elf to arrange a light breakfast for them on my table before settling myself behind my desk with a blanket and letting my eyes fall shut. 

🦇