66) Sturgy Gets Caught

"They're saying Sirius Black is hiding in London," Susan informed me as I sat down for breakfast. "That's crazy — what if he decided to attack again?"

"Nah, I don't think he would," I said, feeling vaguely sick as I realized it must've been Lucius who had tipped off the Ministry. There's no other way they would have known, unless he'd popped out like an idiot... he could've done that, but I really hoped he didn't.

"Why not? He is a mass murderer," Justin pointed out helpfully.

"Well, maybe he doesn't want to get caught and sent back to Azkaban. If he wanted to attack someone, he would've done it already."

"He tried to attack Harry," Hannah pointed out.

"Yeah, and he hasn't tried since, so I guess he's probably over that whole thing," I shrugged, taking a sip of my juice. "Have you guys ever wondered if Sirius isn't really a bad guy?"

"What?" Justin blinked.

"I just... I mean, he... the Ministry tend to lie a lot," I found myself struggling for words. "They're lying about Voldemort — what if they're lying about Sirius, too?"

"No," Susan said. "I don't think so. The Ministry seem awfully terrified of him — they genuinely believe he's a bad guy."

"And some of them genuinely believe that Voldemort isn't back," I said darkly. "They didn't even give Sirius a trial — what if they're missing something?"

"They could be," Susan agreed, but her eyes narrowed, and I really saw the Amelia Bones in her. "Why do you care so much?"

"I'm tired of the Ministry screwing up people's lives. I'm just wondering if they've done it to other people as well."

Susan seemed pleased with that answer. She handed me a copy of the Daily Prophet, saying I could read the article if I wanted. I didn't, so I just flipped through it, looking for any mentions of my name. I didn't find one, but I did find an article tucked away in the corner of a page, and once I translated the headline, I decided to read it.

TRESPASS AT MINISTRY
Sturgis Podmore, 38, of number two, Laburnum Gardens, Clapham, has appeared in front of the Wizengamot charged with trespass and attempted robbery at the Ministry of Magic on 31st August. Podmore was arrested by Ministry of Magic watchwizard Eric Munch, who found him attempting to force his way through a top-security door at one o'clock in the morning. Podmore, who refused to speak in his own defense, was convicted on both charges and sentenced to six months in Azkaban.

I didn't like Sturgis (he didn't like me, either), but I didn't like how he was in Azkaban.

I wondered what he had been trying to do at the Ministry, then frowned. Whatever it had been, I wasn't sure if it were Order business. I could remember Moody being pissed that Sturgis hadn't shown up for guard when we were heading for the train. Maybe he'd been lured to the Ministry. Maybe the Order had thought he wouldn't get caught. Or maybe he had just finally gone crazy.

I figured that was definitely it.

***

"I can't believe them! They're going to fail their O.W.L.s, they absolutely never study! And I doubt they're ever going to get that homework done, they're always doing something else!" Hermione complained as she scribbled out an essay on Self-Fertilizing Shrubs. "All they do is Quidditch!"

"To be fair, Ron's new to the team, he needs all the practice he can get," I said, sort of wishing I had joined Harry and Ron as they got in some extra practice before practice. Hermione scared me.