135) Ari978

Shoutout to Ari978 for taking the time last chapter to count every bit of alliteration. I believe the number she got to was 75. Follow her and worship her for her dedication. She is an inspiration to many and an idol for all. Thank you, Ari, for being the change we needed to see in the world. Also, you're uber dope.

Dumbledore stood in the doorway, somehow seeming so much bigger than he was. Dumbledore was tall and skinny, old, and his joints cracked more than any of us cared to admit, but he always seemed so powerful when he walked into the room. It was as if his head should be brushing against the top of the doorframe, towering over us, regal and wise and knowing.

Umbridge was one of the few who never noticed how big he was, "Yours, Professor Dumbledore?" She gave a short little laugh as he made his way to the middle of the circle, students parting as if he were Moses. "I'm afraid you do not understand the position. I have here" — she pulled a scroll of parchment out from within her robes — "an Order of Dismissal signed by myself and the Minister of Magic. Under the terms of Educational Decree Number Twenty-three, the High Inquisitor of Hogwarts has the power to inspect, place upon probation, and sack any teacher she — that is to say, I — feel is not performing up to the standard required by the Ministry of Magic. I have decided Professor Trelawney is not up to scratch. I have dismissed her."

Dumbledore didn't stop smiling. He looked down at the sobbing, choking Divination Professor and said, "You are quite right, of course, Professor Umbridge. As High Inquisitor you have every right to dismiss my teachers. You do not, however, have the authority to send them away from the castle. I am afraid," he gave a little bow, "that the power to do that still resides with the Headmaster, and it is my wish that Professor Trelawney continue to live at Hogwarts."

Trelawney mad a sound that was a mix of a laugh and a hiccup, all in a high-pitched squeak, "No — no, I'll g-go, Dumbledore! I sh-shall l-leave Hogwarts and s-seek my fortune elsewhere —"

"No," Dumbledore said sternly. "It is my wish that you remain, Sybill." He turned to McGonagall. "Might I ask you to escort Sybill back upstairs, Professor McGonagall?"

"Of course," McGonagall said immediately. "Up you get, Sybill..."

Professor Sprout rushed forward from somewhere within the crowd, snatching up one of Trelawney's suitcases. Flitwick scurried forward, casting a spell making her trunks lift up and follow her, him trailing behind them.

I was happy that more than she who had been asked to help joined in. It was more than being helpful — it was proof that they weren't siding with Umbridge. It was proof they hated her.

Umbridge had frozen in place, eyes stuck on Dumbledore. She spoke in a whisper that managed to carry across the entrance hall, "And what are you going to do with her once I appoint a new Divination teacher who needs her lodgings?"

"Oh, that won't be a problem," Dumbledore said heartily. "You see, I have already found us a new Divination teacher, and he will prefer lodgings on the ground floor."

"You've found —?" Umbridge's piercing voice rang across the hall. "You've found? Might I remind you, Dumbledore, that under Educational Decree Twenty-Two —"

"— the Ministry has the right to appoint a suitable candidate if — and only if — the headmaster is unable to find one," Draco added helpfully, Umbridge turning to glare at him.

"I am happy to say that on this occasion I have succeeded. May I introduce you?" Dumbledore smiled and turned to face the still open doors. Winter mist was slinking slowly in, and the sound of hooves against stone soon echoed in our ears. Murmuring broke out at the sound and the students around the door stepped quickly out of the way, stumbling over themselves in their haste. Out of the mist came a face I recognized — an acquaintance of sorts who I'd first met in the Forbidden Forest of my first year. A centaur who'd saved my life.