139) A One-Handed Fight

The Auror that wasn't Kingsley took a step forwards, and Dumbledore said, "Don't be silly Dawlish. I'm sure you are an excellent Auror, I seem to remember that you achieved 'Outstanding' in all your N.E.W.T.s, but if you attempt to — er — 'bring me in' by force, I will have to hurt you." Dawlish blinked, looking quite the fool, and turned to Fudge as if he could offer some clue as to what to do.

"So," Fudge composed himself, "you intend to take on Dawlish, Shacklebolt, Dolores, and myself, do you, Dumbledore?"

"Merlin's beard, no," Dumbledore smiled. "Not unless you are foolish enough to force me to."

"He will not be single-handed!" Professor McGonagall said boldly, head held high as she shoved her hand into the pocket of her robes.

"Oh, yes he will!" I said. "He only needs the one to beat them."

"Enough of this rubbish!" Fudge whipped out his own wand. "Dawlish! Shacklebolt! Take him!"

"Oh, would you look at that!" I gasped as everyone started pulling out their wands. "My shoe's untied!" I bent down, sticking my leg back far, grinning as Umbridge, who was rushing Dumbledore, tripped over it. He didn't need my help to take her down, but I'd been wanting to see her fall flat on her face since I met her.

A streak of silver light soared over my head and I thought it a good idea to duck down and avoid the carnage. I found myself sitting beside McGonagall, amusing myself with how she was holding Harry and Marietta down. The paintings and the people were yelling, Fawkes was screaming, and spells flashed everywhere. Glass broke somewhere behind us, and a thud accompanied a pained shout.

Silence fell with dust and plaster.

"Are you all right?" I heard Dumbledore ask, and I finally stood. He was smiling, one hand placed casually in his pocket.

"YOU'RE SO COOL!" I yelled, pointing at his arm — he really had beat the others single-handedly. They were all lying on the floor, unconscious.

"Unfortunately, I had to hex Kingsley too, or it would have looked very suspicious," Dumbledore said as the others stood with me. "He was remarkably quick on the uptake, modifying Miss Edgecombe's memory like that while everyone was looking the other way — thank him for me, won't you, Minerva?

"Now, they will all awake very soon and it will be best if they do not know that we had time to communicate — you must act as though no time has passed, as though they were merely knocked to the ground, they will not remember —"

"Where will you go, Dumbledore?" McGonagall whispered. "Grimmauld Place?"

"Oh no," Dumbledore smiled grimly. "I am not leaving to go into hiding. Fudge will soon wish he'd never dislodged me from Hogwarts, I promise you..."

"Professor Dumbledore..." Harry started. He frowned guiltily, brows furrowed as he tried to figure out what he could possibly say or do.

"Listen to me, Harry," Dumbledore said urgently, "you must study Occulemency as hard as you can, do you understand me? Do everything Professor Snape tells you and practice it particularly every night before sleeping so that you can close your mind to bad dreams — you will understand why soon enough, but you must promise me —"

Dawlish was stirring.

"Remember — close your mind —" Dumbledore whispered "— you will understand."

He turned to me, "I have a gift for you, Percy." He stepped over to his desk, digging in a drawer. He pulled out a small blue pouch, with a band around the top. It looked like a little purse or something. He placed it gently into my hands, and the smell of the ocean hit me.

"Oh," I blinked quickly. "Thank you. Thank you."

He smiled, and Dawlish stirred again, Fudge doing the same. Dumbledore sent one last look to us — a promise to always be there, even when he wasn't here. Fawkes circled overhead, and Dumbledore raised his hand, grasping a long, golden tail feather. With a flash of fire, the pair of them disappeared.

I put the gift into my pocket.

"Where is he?" Fudge shouted, pushing himself up from the ground. "Where is he?"

"I don't know!" Kingsley leapt to his feet.

"Well, he can't have Disapparated!" Umbridge yelled. "You can't inside this school —"

"I saw him go down the stairs, once," I said helpfully. Immediately Dawlish and Umbridge flung the door open and ran out, Kingsley following shortly after.

Fudge hesitated to follow, and said, "Well, I'm afraid this is the end of your friend Dumbledore."

"You think so, do you?" McGonagall scowled.

Fudge didn't seem to hear her. He surveyed the room, eyes landing on every bit of destruction. He looked both sad and gleeful. Finally, "You'd better get those three off to bed."

***

I never did find out how Dumbledore managed it.

The pouch wasn't a purse. The band wrapped around my belt loop, so that it could be accessed easily. There was a little tie that held the batch closed, but could be opened with ease.

The little pouch seemed to have an infinite amount of water in it. No matter how long I emptied the thing into Umbridge's office, there was no end to it. I would exhaust myself before it would show any signs of stopping.

It was an extraordinary work of magic, and was totally illegal.

Dumbledore didn't care too much about illegal items — most of them, anyway. For example, Draco owned at least two radioactive orbs that whispered nonsensical things into your mind. Dumbledore was cool with it, thought they were nifty. But cigarettes? No way in Hades were those allowed.

Umbridge, who was now headmaster under Educational Decree Number Twenty-eight, cared a lot more about those types of things. We weren't even allowed candy cigarettes.

In order to prevent students from having a good time, the Inquisitorial Squad had been formed. Draco was having an absolutely wonderful time in there, unwillingly kissing Umbridge's ass. He did find the look on Hermione's face hilarious when he took points from her, though.

The only house that never seemed to lose any points was Slytherin.

Fred and George decided they were going to take matters into their own hands.

I fell again today. I was getting out of the truck and suddenly I'm on the ground. Turns out I stepped on the only patch of wet concrete in the area. My elbow bled a little, very sad. It hurts, I hit my funny bone so now my arm is akejhrkwkejejek. I still have the bruise from the last time I fell ): Also, good news, I got a 30 on the ACT! A 27 on the math, a 28 on the science (which was so much harder than I was anticipating) a 30 on the English, and a 35 on the reading. I got an 8 on the writing. I'm so pleased (: I did very good. I thought I did very bad. Super cool, guys, super cool. I'm super hungry. Very super hungry. Tummy rumbly. I had apple slices and a cookie for lunch, I need sustenance. My other story has about 50,000 words currently, or maybe 55,000 I can't remember. It's going good, guys. I was going to kill a character but I changed my mind so now he's just gone through a very traumatic change. Good luck, him. He might still die later, but I like the conflict that comes with him.

Anyway, I hope you guys have had a terrific week, and I'll see you soon! Love ya!