126) He Only Resurrected Him a Little Bit

Harry climbed to his feet, face pale. He and Snape faced each other with the desk between them. I quickly scooted my seat out of the way.

"You may use your wand to attempt to disarm me, or defend yourself in any other way you can think of," Snape said.

"And what are you going to do?" Harry asked, eyeing Snape's wand.

"I am about to attempt to break into your mind," Snape said lightly. "We are going to see how well you resist. I have been told that you have already shown aptitude at resisting the Imperius Curse.... You will find that similar powers are needed for this.... Brace yourself, now.... Legilimens!"

Harry's eyes went blank in an instant — there hadn't even been an attempt to defend himself. I suppose that was better. He needed to learn how to handle the spell, not how to avoid it.

Harry started shouting, though his eyes were still blank, "No, you're not watching that, you're not watching it, it's private —" His wand spit sparks, and he fell to his knees. It took me a second to realize the sparks had hit Snape, who was rubbing his wrist, an angry red welt having appeared.

"Did you mean to produce a Stinging Hex?" I asked Harry, who had begun to climb to his feet.

"No," Harry said sourly.

"I thought not," Snape said. "You let me get in too far. You lost control."

"Did you see everything I saw?" Harry asked worriedly.

"Flashes of it," Snape's lip curled. "To whom did the dog belong?"

"My Aunt Marge," Harry said, and I shuttered at the thought of her.

"Well, for a first attempt that was not as poor as it might have been," Snape raised his wand again. "You managed to stop me eventually, though you wasted time and energy shouting. You must remain focused. Repel me with your brain and you will not need to resort to your wand."

"I'm trying," Harry scowled, "but you're not telling me how!"

"Manners, Potter," Snape said heatedly. "Now, I want you to close your eyes." Harry shot Snape a dirty look before doing as he was told. "Clear your mind, Potter. Let go of all emotion..."

Harry looked very, very angry.

"You're not doing it, Potter.... You will need more discipline than this.... Focus, now..."

Harry let out a breath.

"Let's go again... on the count of three... one — two — three — Legilimens!"

Harry stiffened. Then he started screaming, "NOOOOOOO!" He fell to his knees again, burying his face into his hands.

"Get up!" Snape ordered. "Get up! You are not trying, you are making no effort, you are allowing me access to memories you fear, handing me weapons!"

Harry stood up, looking like he wanted to fight and cry all at once. I didn't know what had flashed through his head, but Snape also looked angry — not even angry at Harry.

"I — am — making — an — effort," Harry said through clenched teeth.

"I told you to empty yourself of emotion!"

"Yeah? Well, I'm finding that hard at the moment," Harry sneered.

"Then you will find yourself easy prey for the Dark Lord!" Snape said roughly. "Fools who wear their hearts proudly on their sleeves, who cannot control their emotions, who wallow in sad memories and allow themselves to be provoked this easily — weak people, in other words — they stand no chance against his powers! He will penetrate your mind with absurd ease, Potter!"