85) We Figure Some Stuff Out - Not A Lot Of Stuff Though

"Yes, well," Hermione tried to change the conversation, seeing as Zacharias was terrified (good) and the twins were terrifying, "moving on... the point is, are we agreed to take lessons from Harry and Percy?" There was a murmur of agreement, though I'd been half hoping they'd all just say no and leave. It would have been less work for me. "Right. Well, then, the next question is how often we do it. I really don't think there's any point in meeting less than once a week —"

"Hang on," Angelina said, "we need to make this doesn't clash with our and Hufflepuff's Quidditch practice."

"No," Cho agreed, "nor with ours."

"I'm sure we can find a night that suits everyone," Hermione said impatiently, "but you know, this is rather important, we're talking about learning to defend ourselves against V-Voldemort's Death Eaters —"

"Well said!" Ernie Macmillan chirped. I'd expected him to interrupt long before this. "Personally I think this is really important, possibly more than anything else we'll do this year, even with our O.W.L.s coming up!" He looked around as if someone were going to voice their agreement, but no one said anything. "I, personally, am at a loss to see why the Ministry has foisted such a useless teacher upon us at this critical period. Obviously they are in denial about the return of You-Know-Who, but to give us a teacher who is trying to actively prevent us from using defensive spells —"

"We think the reason Umbridge doesn't want us trained in Defense Against the the Dark Arts," I said, hoping Ernie would stop talking if I explained, "I'd that she's got some... some mad idea that Dumbledore could use the students in the school as a kind of private army. She thinks he'd mobilize us against the Ministry."

Everyone looked surprised except for Luna, who piped up, "Well, that makes sense. After all, Cornelius Fudge has got his own private army."

"What?" Harry frowned in confusion.

"Yes, he's got an army of heliopaths," Luna said sadly.

"No, he hasn't," Hermione shook her head.

"Yes, he has," Luna said.

"What are heliopaths?" Neville asked.

"They're spirits of fire," Luna explained kindly, though her eyes did widen considerably, making her look quite crazy. "Great tall flaming creatures that gallop across the ground burning everything in front of —"

"They don't exist, Neville," Hermione scowled.

"Oh yes they do!" Luna snapped.

"I'm sorry, but where's the proof of that?" Hermione said bitterly.

"There are plenty of eyewitness accounts, just because you're so narrow-minded you need to have everything shoved under your nose before you —"

"Hem, hem," I flinched and whirled around as Ginny gave one damn good Umbridge impression. "Weren't we trying to decide how often we're going to meet and get Defense lessons?"

"Yes," Hermione said immediately, "yes, we were, you're right..."

"Once a week sounds good," I supplied. "I'll talk with everybody, see what day works best."

Hermione nodded, "Well, the other thing to decide is where we're going to meet..."

I had nothing to offer on that front.

"Library?" Katie B. suggested, though she didn't seem all too pleased with that option.

"I can't see Madam Pince being too chuffed with us doing jinxes in the library," Harry said.

"Maybe an unused classroom?" Dean shrugged. It was better, but still felt too open.

"Yeah," Ron said, "McGonagall might let us have hers, she did when Harry was practicing for the Triwizard..."

I didn't think McGonagall would be very keen to let us use it this time, though. This was more rebellious, against the rules.... She wouldn't like it very much. She liked rules.

"Right, well, we'll try to find somewhere," Hermione sighed. "We'll send a message round to everybody when we've got a time and a place for the first meeting." She started digging through her bag and pulled out a piece of parchment and a quill. She hesitated for a moment, then spoke. "I-I think everybody should write their name down, just so we know who was here. But I also think," she sucked in a breath, "that we all ought to agree not to shout about what we're doing. So if you sign, you're agreeing not to tell Umbridge — or anybody else — what we're up to."

Fred signed the paper cheerfully, but several people didn't look comfortable with it. When George tried to pass it to Zacharias, the guy didn't take it, "Er.... Well... I'm sure Ernie will tell me when the meeting is." Ernie didn't seem to want to sign it either.

"I — well, we have clean track-records," Ernie said. "And if this list was found... well, I mean to say... you said yourself, if Umbridge finds out..."

"You just said this group was the most important thing you'd do this year," Harry pointed out.

"I — yes," Ernie said, "yes, I do believe that, it's just..."

"Ernie, do you really believe Hermione would just leave that list lying around?" I blinked. "Sign the paper."

"Of course she wouldn't," Ernie said, looking much less anxious. "I — yes, of course I'll sign."

No one else objected after Ernie, though Zacharias did hesitate until I threw a chunk of wood I'd broken off the table at him. He must have thought I ripped it off with my bare strength, because he signed it immediately. It had been dangling off the table already.

"Well, time's ticking on," Fred climbed to his feet. "Forge, Lee, Tronner, and Cavis have got items of a sensitive nature to purchase, we'll be seeing you all later."

It didn't take long for everyone else to leave. We sat there alone for a while, finishing our drinks and thinking.

"Hey, 'Mione," I said after a moment.

"Yes?" Hermione looked up at me.

"Heliopaths are real," I said, and Hermione recoiled. "At least, they were. Monsters don't really die, so I suppose they're around somewhere. They were Helios' servants, and waited on him in his sun palace. When Helios and Selene were downsized, they refused to work for Apollo, and decided to attach themselves to the ground. I haven't seen one before, but some demigods claim to have. Petty little twerps, they are. To be fair, so are most monsters. And most demigods. And all gods, save for Hestia."

Did you guys see the casting for Annabeth and Grover? I'm pleased! I like them. Leah Sava just looks like she could kiss some serious monster butt (an Annabeth must) and Aryan Simhadri's got such a sweet smile. It's great! Ahahahahgagahah. I'm so ready for filming to start, and to get more casting news. I want to see the behind the scenes and I want to see Luke and Clarisse and Ares and Sally. Oh I am excited for Sally. I'm also excited for Poseidon. I know they probably won't go for it, but Logan Lerman as Poseidon would be perfect. He was the only decent thing about the Movies That Shall Not Be Named. Ah. I'm just happy. ((((((((: I hope you guys enjoy the casting decisions as much as I have. They seem like great choices.

Anyway, I hope you guys have had a fantastic Thursday, and I'll see you on Saturday CT. Love ya!