1

Karina's lived through three step siblings and none of them were as annoyingly present as Winter Kim. Probably due to the fact that none of them insisted on having unapologetically loud sex at six in the morning on a Wednesday. This girl baffles Karina as much as she annoys her. Winter despises waking up for school, looks half-dead when she does show up to classes, and stares at Karina with accusation and muted resentment when she returns from her morning jogs. Yet she has no problem enthusiastically participating in such physically demanding activities. At six in the morning. On a Wednesday. Waking Karina ten precious minutes earlier than she has to be up. Winter is lucky the semester has just started and there were no tests given yet. Karina would probably kill her and her 'friend' in cold blood if she dared to wake her up this way on a quiz day.

(It's her senior year. She can't afford to screw it up. Nuisances like her almost step-sister won't deter her from her goals.)

Besides, if she's lucky her father will get bored with Winter's mother long before he actually marries her and they will move out the same way they moved in, arms full of boxes on a Saturday morning. Ms Kim Narae will officially get Married to her father in six months. A lot of things can change in six months. She knows they won't, though, not really. Things usually start to fall apart after the ceremony is done and over with. She went through her father's routine precisely three times. If she were Ms Narae, she'd be wary of becoming the fourth. It always goes the same way.

Except this time, Winter is brought into the equation, and she's already throwing Karina off balance. Two weeks of living - co-existing, really - with this girl, and she has come to a conclusion that her so-called step-sibling bond with Minho was much better than this. She may have landed him in a hospital that one time, but at least she's never had the displeasure of knowing what he sounds like when he comes.

(As infuriating as it is, she doubts he'd sound as good as Winter.)

The thought makes her shudder - she's not sure which one, and she has no desire to dwell on it - so it gets shaken off. Karina rises from the bed, cringing as Winter happily lets her know how great her newest fucktoy is by releasing more obscene sounds. She has to admit that Winter does sound gorgeous, though she'd rather not use that word to describe her step-sister's moans. Winter isn't annoyingly high-pitched, isn't sweet or shy like Karina's occasional (rare) bed partners are. She's sinfully rich, or richly sinful, or both, really.

(Yet another thought that Karina forces out of her head.)

Something crashes in Winter's room, and Karina half-hopes it was someone finally passing out, but Winter's loud cry reassures her both parties are still very much awake and very much still going at it.

This is so unfair. Karina can't keep blasting her music on maximum through her headphones and foolishly hope it won't leave her with hearing impairment. Maybe she could try talking to her father about soundproofing either her room or Winter's. As soon as - if ever, she thinks impassively - her father and Winter's mother come back from yet another trip she'll approach the subject with him. Make something up about needing to concentrate on her studies. It isn't even really a lie. She does need to work harder in some of her AP classes. Or maybe she could persuade him and Winter's mother to switch rooms with Winter. All of the second-floor bedrooms are equally spacious and her father's room is further down the hall. It won't get rid of Winter's sounds completely, but at least they will be somewhat muffled and won't be coming from right across the hall. It's not like they use their bedroom. Her father is almost always gone, and all of his wives are almost always with him, be it a business trip or a Caribbean cruise.