13

Their tentative truce is going better than Karina thought it would. But it's still rather precarious. Winter doesn't bring people home when Karina is around, so it's almost like she's not seeing anyone at all. But long nights alone in the house without the blonde tell Karina otherwise.

They are slowly but surely settling into their own routine as days pass. Winter, it seems, has figured out Karina's schedule long ago. Early on, she's used it to get on her nerves. Now, however, she's building her life in The Yu' residence around it. She knows precisely when to appear and when to leave Karina alone – and, if Karina's honest with herself, the latter is becoming more and more unnecessary. Winter's given up the pretense of reading while Karina's doing her homework in the kitchen, instead browsing through her phone and silently sharing cut up fruit with her. Sometimes, they toss small phrases back and forth. Mostly school stuff. Sometimes, general stuff. And, sometimes, those general stuff lead to interesting discoveries that Karina finds herself oddly enjoying.

This Wednesday is a good example.

She's finishing up with her calculus assignment when Winter breezes past the kitchen island she's seated at, stealing a strawberry from Karina's plate. Her robe is back, but now, it's untied and she's got shorts and a Captain America t-shirt underneath. Huh. She pegged Winter for Iron Man type of girl. Then again, maybe she just doesn't know much about the characters. The whole marvel hype kind of blew past her, and she doesn't have time nor the energy to get into it.

"Well fuck me," Winter mutters as she plops on the chair opposite of Karina, not taking her eyes off her phone. "They do have knees."

Karina can't resist. "The bees?"

"What?" It's like Winter only just realized Karina's here. Her eyes are just a touch bleary and unfocused, and she blinks several times. Karina hides her amused smile.

"You know. The bee's knees."

"Oh." Winter doesn't look like she finds it funny. She's still frowning, deep in thoughts. Perhaps, she's still trying to comprehend whatever it is she found about knees and who has them. "No, penguins."

Now it's Karina's turn to look perplexed. "Penguins?"

Winter's eyes light up. "Yeah. They actually have them. Look." she thrusts her phone at Karina, and there is a detailed picture of a penguin skeleton. Their leg bones are actually much longer than she anticipated, Karina notes. Most of it is hidden by their adorable body, although she doubts she'll find them as adorable anymore after she saw what they look like on the inside. It is slightly terrifying, actually. The skull definitely looks like something straight from a horror movie, and Karina hates those.

She suppressed a shudder. "Huh," she says. Winter is fidgeting in her seat excitedly, seemingly past her earlier astonishment. Now, she looks proud of her discovery. "Cool. Any reason you're looking up penguin knees?" As amusing as this little anatomy lesson is, Winter's sudden interest in the topic is much more fascinating.

Instead of answering, Winter gives her a confused look. Karina gives her one back, and Winter's eyes slowly widen with dawning realization.

"No way," she mutters. "Didn't you see Imagine Me and You?" The name vaguely rings a bell, but vaguely is the key word. Karina shakes her head, and Winter's jaw drops. "How?"

Karina shrugs, feeling a little guilty, because Winter is looking at her like she's seeing her for the first time. "I, uh, don't watch a lot of movies?"

"Unbelievable," Winter mutters, mostly to herself. "A complete fucking Disney collection and big ass Sappho books and she hasn't seen Imagine Me and You. It's like a lesbian rite of passage or something," she says. "Well. Girls loving girls rite of passage."

Karina can't help but give Winter a small smile as she glances at her bisexuality pride bracelet the blonde always wears. "So inclusive."

But Winter doesn't allow her to change the topic. "Karina," she says, completely serious. "You have to watch it. Seriously. Whether you love it or hate it, it's an important piece of wlw media." She pronounces 'wlw' like ' wuhluhwuh '. If she hasn't explained it to Karina earlier, she probably wouldn't have guessed it was ' women loving women '. In her head, she always pronounces it double you-l-double you. Which is exactly how it is written.

Any other day and any other person, Karina probably would have nodded mutely and departed to her room. Probably. She'll never know. "Okay. Let's watch it, then."

Judging by Winter's expression, it's not what she expected. "What?"

"Let's watch it."

"Right now?"

"Yeah." Karina stands up, gathering her books and notes, and Winter looks at her with wide eyes, hands clutching her phone. "I'm free. If you're free, we can watch it right now. I'm intrigued."

Winter scrambles to her feet. "I'm free. I kinda always am." That prompts a chuckle from both of them. Winter is free most of the time. Karina was surprised to learn she's well above average in most of her classes, actually.

"Okay. I'll just dump these in my room," Karina holds her book up, and Winter nods. "You may set up the tv and everything, and I'll make popcorn."

"Okay. Yeah, sounds like a plan." Winter is still fiddling with her phone, and Karina tilts her head as she regards her. It feels like Karina's missing a piece of the puzzle, for some reason. But then, Winter slips the phone inside her shorts' pocket and gives her an easy half-smile. "Meet you in the living room in five?"

"Yup." Karina lets the 'p' pop as she makes her way to her room.

"Oh, Karina, can you grab me something from my room? Something warm, I mean." Winter gestures down at herself. "Not very practical," she notes with a small smirk.

Karina follows the movement of her hand, lets her gaze drop to bare feet and flexing calves and toned thighs. She blinks. "Sure."

She doesn't meet Winter's eyes as she flees upstairs.