14

Sometimes, Karina finds herself questioning her decision-making skills. Most of the time, when it comes to Winter.

She couldn't make herself go into Winter's room, even with the girl's permission. But she didn't want to leave Winter to freeze to death during the movie. So Karina quickly found a – genius, as she thought at the moment – solution. She grabbed her own sweatpants, a red hoodie – Jisoo's gift, with Karina written in the front in big bold white letters – and, after brief consideration, warm fuzzy socks. When she tumbled down the stairs, Winter only raised an eyebrow, but other than that, she accepted the clothes without a word, quickly tugging them on.

Now, Winter is standing before her wearing her clothes with her name on them, and it shouldn't be a problem, but it is. For one, she can't take her eyes off the girl.

"So... The movie's ready. You said something about popcorn?"

"Yeah." Karina has to blink to tear her gaze away. She already knows the image of Winter in her hoodie is burned on the inside of her eyelids, though. "Be right back."

To her surprise, Winter doesn't offer to follow. She's grateful for that, at least. "Okay."

Maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all. Documentaries are one thing. An actual movie with popcorn is – well. Karina's not so sure she wants to go there. Friends have movies nights, too, don't they?

Are they friends now?

It doesn't take her long to make enough popcorn to feed a small army – or just Winter. She enters the living room with a fresh batch. Its scent fills up the room, and Winter sighs as she inhales. Karina manages not to drop it.

"I swear, you make the best microwave popcorn I've ever had," her step sister confesses, scooting on the couch so Karina can sit. She grabs a handful when Karina sets the bowl on the coffee table, and Karina curses under her breath. She knows the way Winter likes to eat her popcorn. She really should've gone with nachos or, better yet, no snacks at all. But now it's too late, and she tries not to fidget at Winter's quiet moan.

She hasn't heard her in several weeks. The realization is startling.

Winter starts the movie.

Surprisingly, Karina finds herself mildly invested. It isn't the end all be all, but that's not what she was expecting from the start. It's light and entertaining, and she chuckles at the right moments and sighs at the right moments, too. Up until the kissing scene.

That goddamn kissing scene. She watches women on screen melt into each other, knocking each other over in their passionate hurry, and she sucks in a sharp breath. Inevitably, she glances at Winter. Inevitably, Winter is staring back, and the air thickens and looms over their heads.

She hasn't touched her in several weeks.

Winter's eyes are earnest and dark, yet she makes no move. She doesn't take her gaze off Karina, either. She's waiting, Karina realizes. She's waiting and she's as unsure as Karina feels.

This is a very bad idea. That's what Karina tells herself when her eyes fall to Winter's lips. That's what Karina tells herself when she blindly reaches for remote and turns the tv off. That's what her mind screams at her when she leans in. Bad, bad idea. That's what makes it so enticing.

This is purely on instinct, and Karina marvels at how she just acts. Impulsively. All because of this girl in front of her. Winter is changing her, and she doesn't know whether it's good or bad, and right now, she doesn't really care. She just wants her.