16

Winter doesn't initiate sex, and Karina lets her be. The kitchen incident caused her to think some things through. Over and over, losing sleep, twisting and turning in her bed well past midnight.

It's pointless to ignore the way Karina's heart stops and restarts every time she sees her step sister. And Karina doesn't waste her time with pointless things. But try as she might, she can't figure Winter out, and she's not ashamed to admit that the prospect of simply asking terrifies her. The whole situation is throwing her off-balance.

And, even though she probably should, she doesn't stop having sex with her. This isn't like the first time, however. They still don't spend the nights, but it's not as frequent and not as loud. The novelty and the rush of doing a forbidden thing have worn off, Karina reasons. Now, they simply enjoy each other, and that's what makes it worse.

And she just can't stop. Not when Winter has taken to wearing her hoodie around the house at night. Not when she throws her hair up in a bun, and all of Karina's marks are on display, worn proudly and traced absentmindedly as Winter browses through her phone. Not when she's paying rapid attention to how climate change affects the planet, as told by a charismatic host of a new documentary series Karina's mildly obsessed with. Winter almost turned Karina down that night, and she's still not sure whether to feel insulted or proud.

She's also not sure how she feels about the fact that Winter never makes the first move now. She's not trying to seduce her, either. The days of parading around the house in an open robe are over, it seems. Now, Winter is simply... Winter.

It's not like Karina purposefully approaches her, really. It just kinda happens. She's drawn to her, invisible force at play, when they sit together, watch tv together, eat together. Winter would be near her, and Karina would lean in, leaving a tentative kiss on her neck, shoulder, lips, and they would go from there. Perhaps, the solution is to cut the time spent with the girl, but it's nearly physically impossible at this point.

Winter wanted under her skin, and now she got there. And she's more confusing than ever.

Other than occasional sex, they begin to get along even better than before, and Karina can't say she's too upset about it. It's nice, actually. Having someone to cautiously rely on in some things. It makes her feel light when she casually asks Winter if she can drive her to and from her fencing tournament today. She knows she'll be too tired to do it by herself after it's over. And the light feeling in her chest grows when Winter readily agrees. Casually. Without the added touch of unnecessary intimacy. Without the heavy promise of sex, and without the hinted demand for it, either.

She asks and Winter agrees and encouragingly smiles, and it's - it's nice. It feels like having a friend, Karina supposes. A weirdly functioning friendship. It's not like she can call whatever they have a sibling bond – that thought makes Karina cringe and wish for a shower. Besides, she already got a sister out of her father's failed marriage once, and Jisoo wouldn't take being replaced lightly.

Karina briefly wonders if Jisoo and Winter would get along, should Jisoo choose to pop by, entirely unexpected and eagerly welcomed as usual. And, after her imagination draws a vivid picture of Jisoo's homecoming, she also briefly wonders if she'll manage to replace the furniture before father gets home from his trip. To Karina, two loud, explosive short girl under one roof spells disaster. She should probably warn both of them about each other's existence. Maybe, if she's lucky, they won't ever meet. But, well. She's never been particularly lucky.