19

Karina doesn't usually like being too hot. Or too cold. She doesn't like extreme temperatures, period. But right now, grinding on Winter's lap, with her fingers pressed against her still clothed center, she doesn't mind at all that her skin is on fire. Winter's the perfect exception.

She can't hold back a moan when her step sister laps at her neck, and she doesn't have to. Ms Narae and her father are gone to some exhibition Karina doesn't care to know the name of, and they won't be back until much later.

"Winter," she pants into golden hair. Something is brewing in the pit of her stomach, making her throb almost painfully. They are still wearing their clothes, and she already feels on the brink. She thinks it's because they had to sneak around for almost a month. As hot as that is, unabashedly enjoying each other is much better. Besides, there is just something about the couch in the living room. It's spacious and luxurious and perfect for having loud, shameless sex.

Although, if Winter keeps doing what she's doing – devouring Karina's neck and lips and skillfully palming her between her legs – Karina's not sure she'll last till the actual sex part.

"God, this feels good," she mumbles, rolling her hips into Winter's hand. It's almost not enough. She wants her inside. Needs to feel the stretch of her fingers. But at the same time, this feels perfect. The way Winter is holding her around her waist and gazes up at her with that something they haven't named yet in her eyes – Karina's more than okay with staying this way for as long as they can.

Or for as long as she lasts.

They never get the chance to find out, however, because the front door creaks open and next thing Karina knows is pain. In her sudden panic, Winter pushes her off her lap, and Karina crashes into a wooden coffee table headfirst. It's a fine piece of woodwork, all heavy and sharp angles. Karina hears a sickening crunch before she feels it, and it looks just as dramatic as it sounds, if Winter's wide terrified eyes are any indication.

The back of her head is sticky and on fire.

"Karina!" Winter's shouting and Ms Narae's shouting at her to stop shouting. It's a cacophony and suddenly Karina's too tired to keep up with it. With anything. The pain is sharp and throbbing and she wants it to stop. If she just closes her eyes for a second. Just to rest for a little while.

"Karina, I need you to stay awake." Ms Narae's face swims into focus, concentrated and serious. It morphs and twists. Her features keep changing. Karina blinks. "Try not to close your eyes, honey," then she addresses Karina's father urgently. She's swiftly checking Karina's ears as she speaks. "Oh, they're on their way? Good. It's a lot of blood. Sweetie," her eyes are wide and again. "Can you hear me?"

She can. She's not sure she can answer. Her tongue feels funny, and everything is swimming.

Where is Winter?

She blinks, and when she opens her eyes again, she's not in her living room anymore. It's not her house at all. The walls are white and the sheets are scratchy and there is an IV in her arm. Things are slowly coming back to her. Winter, parents, pain. Her mouth feels like cotton. Her head feels this way, too. She blinks a couple of times, trying to focus her eyes.

Pain is reduced to a dull sting. She turns her head to her left and is mildly surprised to find Winter there, fast asleep in a chair next to her. Karina winces at the position her neck is in. That'll hurt when she wakes up, no doubt. She's torn between waking her up and letting her sleep a little longer, but in the end, her concern for Winter's neck muscles and her own need for some water win.

"Winter," she croaks out, and the girl jolts awake, looking around in confusion before her gaze falls on Karina and she gasps.

"Hey, hey," Winter's hand is a little cold, but it's pleasant against Karina's warm skin. "Are you okay? How are you feeling?" Winter's eyes can't seem to find one place to land on. They travel all over Karina's face and body, looking for possible cause of distress. "Are you in any pain?"