12

"I'm sorry," is the first thing Karina walks into when she comes back from her jog. Winter is standing in the kitchen, already dresses for school, wearing dark skinny jeans and a plaid shirt. She's also holding a cup of something that vaguely smells like tea and, when she notices Karina's pointed look, she shrugs. "I tried brewing tea. As a thank you for, um, last night. Don't drink that."

"Okay." Karina nods and opens the fridge. It's avocado and whole wheat toast today. "I forgive you for your poor tea making skills." Yes, so she might be slightly unhappy with Winter at the moment. Partly because she has slept for a whooping three hours and partly because even though it's been a week, she still feels discontent with the way Winter has handled their conversation.

Her step sister sighs. "That's not what I was apologizing for," she mutters. Karina's eyebrows go up. Oh. As far as apologies go, this isn't the best one. Although Karina wouldn't know. She doesn't have much to compare it to.

"Oh," she says, and pours the tea Winter made into the sink, wincing at the bitter scent. The girl should definitely stick to coffee. Karina's become accustomed to the smell, anyway. It's been missing in the kitchen the last couple of days. Not that she missed it. She simply noticed the absence. Of the coffee smell. Okay, maybe Winter's, too. It's hard not to notice when someone is actively avoiding you.

Now, Winter's presence is overbearing.

"I mean it, you know," her step sister says quietly. "I'm sorry for... For pressuring you. It was a fucked up thing to do. If you want to stop our arrangement, I understand. Well, I don't. But you don't have to explain your decision to me. It's not like..." she isn't looking at Winter, but she imagines a frown marring her features during her brief pause. "Um. So, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have gone off on you like that."

"You didn't," Karina points out blankly. "You just told me to go fuck myself and left."

"Yeah, that was me going off, actually."

"Oh. I always imagine the going off process to take longer." she says. She's still not looking at her, instead busying herself with checking the expiration date on the milk carton.

"It's highly unlikely it's gone bad since yesterday," Winter points out. She's still holding the cup, Karina notes as she gives her a sideways glance.

"I know."

"But you still check to see if it's fresh," the girl clarifies.

Karina blinks. "Yes." She expects her to scoff in irritation. Instead, she finds Winter looking at her cup, contemplating something. "Huh," says the blonde.

The conversation is progressing nicely so far.

She puts everything on the counter and turns to face Winter who's fiddling with the cup. Karina gets a sudden urge to take it and – smash it, maybe, or pour it over Winter's head. She settles for a long sigh. "Thank you," she says. "I accept your apology." She's not sure she does, but the sooner they forget about this whole thing, the sooner everything will go back to normal. She's been too distracted lately. Cutting Winter out hasn't been as productive as she's originally thought. Seulgi has commented on her lack of concentration, and up to this morning, she was sure she'd do less than satisfactory on her upcoming test. But, with Winter willing to bury the hatchet that's been haunting Karina the past couple of days, maybe things will get back on track.