Part 4 - Unpaid Favors

Meet me outside in 10 minutes.

Was this from Diluc?? You smiled to yourself, realizing that this had gone better than you thought.

10 incredibly long minutes later, you leaned against the wooden table outside the tavern. You had come out to the back of Angel's Share a few minutes ago, determined not to be late because you already felt guilty about almost exposing Diluc's identity. You stared up at the star-speckled sky, wondering if Diluc really was the person who wrote the note.

You heard a soft 'creeeaaakk' and eagerly turned around. You watched, eyes glued to the back door of the tavern as it slowly opened. Out stepped the tall, crabby owner of the tavern. You bit your lip, trying to stay calm.

He walked towards you and stopped inches before your face. You stared at him. Even at night, it was as if his deep red eyes were blazing as they stared at you. He crossed his arms and gazed at you. You felt your face growing warm, and your heart was beating like crazy. Good thing it was too dark for him to see the blush forming on your cheeks.

"You wanted to talk to me...?", you asked, looking away. You froze as he leaned towards you. "What exactly do you want?" he asked. "Me..?", you asked, confused.

"Yes, you. You recognized me yesterday, and now you come here telling my customers I'm the Darknight Hero," he said, slightly annoyed.

"W-well...I just wanted to thank you for helping me yesterday...", you said, scratching the back of your head.

His expression slightly softened and he sighed. "It was nothing. But please don't tell anyone else about what happened last night...", he said. "It would be quite troublesome if the Knights found out about it....", he trailed off.

You felt butterflies in your stomach as you watched his gaze towards you soften

"If there's nothing else, I'll be going back inside. Have a nice night, miss.", he said, turning around and striding towards Angel's Share. "Wait!", you called out.

"Is there something else?", he asked, glancing at you over his shoulder. You quickly walked over to him. "I won't tell anyone you're the Darknight Hero," you said, looking at him.

"Thank yo-

"But on one condition," you blurted, cutting him off.

"Condition? What condition?" he asked.

"Let me be your assistant," you said, determined not to back down. You had gotten this far, there was no way you were letting this chance go.

He stared at you for a few seconds, utterly confused. "I beg your pardon..?", he asked, blinking.

Calming your nerves, you looked up at him. "I...want to be your assistant," you mumbled.

"Assistant...? I'm sorry but we don't need any more bartenders at Angel's Share," he said, shaking his head.

"Not at Angel's Share. I mean, I want to be the Darknight Hero's assistant," you said.

"The Darknight Hero's assistant..?" he said, raising an eyebrow. "I'm sorry, but I can't. It's too risky. I don't need one either," he said. "I helped you and you thanked me. It's best if we leave it at that," he said, turning around.

"But-"

"It's much easier for me to work alone, miss," he said, going back into the tavern and shutting the door behind him.

Well....That didn't go as planned.....

.

.

.

You wrapped your coat close to your chest, shivering as you wondered how much longer you'd have to wait. You scanned the area, amazed by how eerily silent Mondstadt could be at the dead of night. Almost everybody was warmly tucked into bed at their house, so why weren't you?

Because you were waiting for the infamous Daknight Hero to make an appearance. You were determined to make use of every opportunity you had to get the cold redhead's attention. You were about to sit down when something caught your eye.

"He usually comes out around this time..", you murmured to yourself. You looked around again and saw something moving around in the shadows.....along with a familiar flash of red.

'Jackpot', you thought, smirking. Pulling your jacket hood over your head, you silently ran over to the figure.

Just as the tall, dark figure was about to turn a corner, you jumped out in front of him. Startled, he pulled out his sword and was about to attack when he saw your face.

You saw his deep red eyes widen in surprise as he sheathed his sword. "You- What are you doing here?" he whispered, confused.

"I came to help you as thanks for last night," you said, beaming up at him. His perfect features were even more alluring in the soft moonlight as it fell on him.

He sighed, massaging his temples. "Look miss, I already told you that I don't need any help. It's getting late, you should go home.", he said, walking past you.

"Please, let me help you at least once.", you pleaded, struggling to keep up with his long strides.

"I'm sorry," he said, quickening his pace.

You frowned, now jogging alongside him. He was determined to lose you, but you were just as determined to stay. Crossing the stone Mondstadt bridge, you followed Diluc as he made his way through the grassy fields.

After a few minutes of walking, you watched as Diluc stopped abruptly and turned to face you. "How long are you going to keep following me?", he said, slightly annoyed. "It's not safe for citizens to be out at this time of night," he said, walking towards you.

"Hilichurls, slimes, mages, and all other kinds of danger roam free now. If you get hurt, then....", he said, leaning towards you. "Then I don't know if I can help you...", he trailed off.

"No, no, it's nothing like that!", you exclaimed. "I can fend for myself! I just wanted to give you a bit of extra help..."

He looked at you skeptically from head to toe, as if he were analyzing you. You shifted from foot to foot, uncomfortable.

"I'm sorry, but I don't think you can come-"

"WATCH OUT!"

                                                                                               -x-

If you liked the story so far, please consider giving it a vote! And if you can, leave a comment to let me know what you think of the story :)