Part 9 - Who is she?!?

"Then what were you nervous about?", you asked, confused. He crossed his arms and leaned back in his chair. "What do you think?"

Was it because he was afraid of his identity being revealed? Or were there other hilichurls around? No matter how hard you thought, you couldn't come up with a reason. "The only other person there was me...", you murmured, confused because there was no way you'd make him nervous.

"It was you", he whispered, too quietly for you to hear him. "What?", you asked, looking at him. "It's nothing.", he shook his head and went behind the bar counter.

But you had heard him. 'It was you' Those words replayed in your head. You turned around, covering your face that was getting redder by the second. 'Was he really nervous because of me?' 'Did I mishear him?' These questions swirled around in your head and you sat down, overwhelmed by emotion. You could feel your pulse quickening.

You were about to ask Diluc what he meant, but you were interrupted by the bell on the door as it swung open. A customer walked in, followed by another. Surprised, you looked out the window, saw the pink and orange streaked sky, and realized it was already the break of dawn.

You stood up and rushed over to Diluc. "I'll be a bartender and help you today!", you said, ready to persuade him when he said no. But he never refused. He nodded and left, leaving you elated. "What will you be having today?", you beamed at the first customer.

.

.

.

8 extremely exhausting hours later, you gave the last customer their drink and sent them off with a smile. 'Just one more hour', you thought, hoping you could pull through for Diluc. You were about to sit down and rest your feet when you heard the bell ring. You got up again and put on your smiling face, ready to help the next customer. You walked over to the bar counter and looked at the person in front of you.

The girl was about your age, with blond hair that reached her neck. She had almond-shaped eyes, rosy lips, and a pretty face that rested on top of a slender body. You couldn't help but notice she was an attractive person. As if she were looking for someone, she frantically searched the bar for....something. 'Does she need something?', you wondered.

"What will you be having today?", you asked, the usual smile plastered across your face. "Diluc!", the girl said, looking at you. Your smile faltered but still stayed on your face. "I beg your pardon...?", you asked.

"Is Diluc here?", she asked, looking behind you.

"Diluc?", you repeated. "He's a bit busy at the moment..."

"He's here? I need to see him.", she demanded, crossing her arms

"Why...? I can pass on a message if you wan-"

"I need to see Diluc."

"He's busy.", you said, gritting your teeth. "Diluc can't co-"

"Diluc can't what?", came the familiar deep voice belonging to the redhead who appeared behind you. You spun around, surprised. "This girl..", you said, pointing to her. "She said she wants to see yo-"

"Diluc!", the girl exclaimed, throwing herself onto him. Staggering from the sudden weight, Diluc gently pushed the girl away. 'What is she doing??', you thought, balling your hands into fists.

You watched as the girl grabbed Diluc's arm and looked up at him. She was frustratingly pretty. You stepped in between them. "What do you think you're doing?", you asked, annoyed.

The girl rolled her eyes at you and her gaze went back to Diluc, who didn't exactly seem pleased.

"Anna, I'm sorry but this isn't a good time for me.", Diluc said, looking down at her. 'What? Diluc knows her?', you thought. Pouting, Anna hugged Diluc's arm to her chest. "You can't make time for me?", she pleaded, forcing a scowl out of you. 'Who the hell is she?', you thought, feeling irritation surge up.

Diluc gently moved his arm away. "I'm sorry, Anna. I'm a bit busy right now.", he said, shaking his head. You saw Diluc being polite, but you could tell he was displeased from his tone. Anna didn't seem to get the hint. Either that, or she didn't care. But you did, and you were getting pissed.

"What are you so busy with?", Anna asked, pouting even more. You hated that it made her look cute. "You don't even have a girlfriend..", she trailed off, moving closer to Diluc.

"I'm busy-", started Diluc

"Actually..", you interrupted, pushing the girl off Diluc's arm and standing in between them.

"He does have a girlfriend.", you snapped, glaring down at Anna. At this, both Diluc and Anna turned towards you, puzzled. "Oh yeah?", she smirked. "Who?

"Me.", you said, pulling Diluc towards you. You were too pissed to think straight.

"You? Yeah, right", she scoffed. "Prove it.", she said, crossing her arms.

"Wai-", started Diluc. Before he could finish, you stood up on your tip-toes and kissed him on the cheek. You turned toward Anna, glaring. "I proved it. Now go away", you glowered. Anna looked like she was going to burst into tears. It frustrated you that she looked even prettier on the brink of crying. She turned and walked out of the tavern. "Jeez..", you muttered, annoyed.

And then it hit. The fact that you had just kissed him sunk in. You whirled around to face Diluc, expecting him to question you or glare, but instead, he was....looking away...? "Diluc...?", you asked, trying to get a better look at his face. "Is something wrong?"