Part 7 - Embarrassed

You woke abruptly to the sound of the bells ringing as a customer walked into Angel's Share. Still sleepy, you squinted, adjusting your eyes to the daylight that poured into the tavern through the window. You heard the familiar chatter of customers as they laughed over a drink. You rubbed your eyes and saw almost all the tables at Angel's share occupied.

Coming to your senses, you quickly ran home to freshen up.

.

.

.

You pushed open Angel's Share and strode in, feeling much more refreshed after you made a quick stop at your house. Your leg had gotten considerably better after a good rest. You could walk, but with a slight limp. The place had gotten much busier.

You scanned the sea of heads to find the one redhead. And you saw him. He was behind the counter, attending to the customers as usual. Making your way past the slightly tipsy customers, you sat on a stool in front of the counter, determined to thank him.

"What'll you be having toda-", Diluc stopped once he recognized you.

"Er...good morning, Diluc...", you sheepishly murmured. "Um, thank you...for last night.", you said, still embarrassed at how quickly you'd fallen asleep.

"What happened last night?", he asked, looking at the mug he was polishing.

What? Didn't he remember? You were about to remind him when you suddenly became aware of the customers around you....and their open ears. Oh, right....you had forgotten that anything that happened while he was the Darknight hero was a secret.

"Thank you for the special drink you made me yesterday...it was lovely.", you said, hoping to convince the customers that making a drink was the only thing he did for you.

He nodded curtly. "You're welcome,"

Sighing, you placed your head in your hands. "Can I..talk to you...?", you asked, looking at him. "About another drink...", you added, conscious of the ears around you.

After a moment's hesitation, he relented. "All right, follow me", he said, putting down the mug. You followed him to the back of the tavern, but could still hear the customer's chatter ring through the bar.

"Is there something wrong?", he asked, arms crossed. "Ah...no, nothing's wrong.", you replied. "I just wanted to properly thank you for this," you said, pointing at your bandaged leg.

"There's no need to thank me, miss. Is that all?", he asked, glancing out at the customers lining up at the counter.

"Angel's Share seems to be busy today..", you noticed. "More than usual", he said, nodding and walking back out.

"Let me help you!", you exclaimed before he left. "Help me with what?", he asked, stopping and looking at you. "Let me help you at Angel's Share. Just for today? As thanks for all the trouble I put you through yesterday.", you pleaded.

He stared at you for a few seconds, possibly considering your offer. But you could never tell what was behind that expressionless face.

"You said it yourself! The place is busier than usual today. You don't even have to pay me, I just want to help you.", you said, hoping to persuade him.

"I'm sorry, but I don't nee-"

"I insist.", you said, determined.

You could hear the customers outside, grumbling impatiently, wondering when the bartender was going to get back. "...Alright, just for today.", he agreed.

Yes! You silently rejoiced. "You won't regret this!", you winked, rushing out to attend to the customers. A small smile escaped Diluc's lips as he watched you eagerly face the crowd.