Part 15 - Fatal

You thought the treasure hoarders would never stop coming but eventually, you and Diluc had taken care of all of them. You were in terrible shape, shivering and barely able to stand. Looking around, you tried to find the lector but it was as if he'd vanished into thin air. Your vision started to get fuzzy as you saw Diluc run over to you.

"Can you still stand?", Diluc asked, holding your shoulders to keep you steady. You nodded, regaining your posture. Even in circumstances like these, you still felt your heart flutter as Diluc looked at you with eyes full of concern.

"Let's get out of here," Diluc said, helping you walk. "Thanks, but I can walk...myself..." you mumbled, steadying yourself. The second after you stood, you felt a large creeping sensation travel down your spine, freezing you in place. You looked up at Diluc to see his eyes wide as he looked behind you.

Without turning around, you knew the abyss lector had appeared behind you. "Watch out!" Diluc yelled, pushing you aside to the ground. You looked up with wide eyes to see the abyss lector impale Diluc, your heart dropping as you watched him crumple to the ground. A small noise full of worry escaped your lips.

Before you could think any further, you grabbed your dagger, jumped up, and struck the abyss lector straight through his heart. Fuming, you continued to strike it until it fell onto its knees and crumbled into black dust. You couldn't even feel the relief that came with beating the lector because you were overcome with grief at the sight of Diluc on the floor.

You felt your soul leave your body as you watched the pool of dark red blood under Diluc get larger and larger. You collapsed onto your knees next to him and gently cradled his head in your arms. You felt hot teardrops travel down your face as you looked at Diluc's blood-soaked hair.

"No...", you whispered, your tears falling more frequently now. "No..."

You kept repeating that word over and over again as you prayed for Diluc to open his eyes. "Please open your eyes...I'm sorry, it's all because of me...", you cried. "If it weren't for me...this wouldn't have happened..."

You felt the knot on your chest grow tighter as each second passed, as you kept apologizing to him, cursing yourself for what happened. You caressed his face, as you felt all emotion surge forward. "I love you..." you whispered, not holding back. "I love you, Diluc"