Part 5 - Out in the Night

"I'm sorry, but I don't think you can come-"

"WATCH OUT!", you yelled, pushing Diluc to the side as you struck down a hilichurl that had snuck up on him. You ran towards the brute, smiling, as you tightly gripped your bat. You raised it over your head, and swung down on the hilichurl's head, hard. You struck the monster once, then twice more, grinning the whole time.

You stood back and watched as the hilichurl burst into black sand, the dark grains being swept away by the light breeze.

Placing your bat over your shoulder, you turned towards Diluc and smiled. "Still I think I can't do it?", you beamed, relieved that you'd been able to take care of the brute. You expected him to look annoyed, even tell you off.

But instead, his gaze towards you softened, and his lips curved up into a slight smile. "Thank you. You did well, Y/N", he said, softly caressing the top of your head.

Your eyes widened in surprise and you inhaled sharply. You weren't expecting him to do that! And from the way he quickly took his hand off your head and moved away, it was as if he didn't expect to do it either.

Clearing his throat, he started walking ahead. You stood, momentarily stunned by what just happened. You felt your heart hammering against your chest and your face grow warm. "Did I ever tell him my name...?", you mumbled to yourself. But you were too dazed to care.

You jogged over to him, trying to hide your smile. "So....does this mean I can help you...?", you asked, silently begging him to let you tag along.

"Just this once," he offered, walking away. Trying your best to stop yourself from jumping up and down, you followed him. Yes! You succeeded in getting his attention.

But what you didn't know was that you already had more than just his attention.

.

.

.

So far, the night had been peaceful.

You smiled to yourself, thanking Barbatos for such a precious opportunity. You fidgeted with your fingers in excitement and you walked beside Diluc. Glancing at him out of the corner of your eye, you admired the way his red hair framed his fair face. His large, red eyes seemed to sparkle in the moonlight. You were about to speak to him when-

"HELP!!!"

You jumped, caught off guard by the sudden yell. "What was that?", you asked, scanning the area. "It sounds like someone's in trouble...", Diluc murmured, as his eyebrows knit together.

You both ran towards the call for help, wondering what happened.

.

.

.

Bending over and placing your hands on your knees, you tried to steady your breathing. You and Diluc had been running through the grass fields, unable to find the victim. You stood straight and squinted, trying to get a better look at your surroundings.