I Get the Worst Grounding in History ~ Ch1

My fingers weave smoothly through the shoelaces, pulling and tying in the dark room that invited the moon to come and pay me a visit, through my open window. The moonlight was, really, the only light source I was using. Sure, I could have turned on the lights, but what fun is that when you're trying to sneak out? Tonight, I was incognito. I pull my hands away and lean on my bed, they were down there...they were all down there and it only made this harder.

I place my foot off of my bed, and walk towards the open door that gave little light. Endless chatter fills up the room downstairs, each voice getting louder than the last. "Ugh, old people" I mutter, pinching the doorframe. My step-father was having yet another business party. This time he was accepted for some NASA job, in Washington D.C, so of course he couldn't help but brag to his friends and family, again.

But they weren't the only ones proud of him, my mother made that very clear. Throwing him this party, giving him the biggest feast ever prepared, (though she wasn't the one who made it.) And setting aside a day, just for him, in which we all just have to leave him alone. Yeah, a normal week. I stare at a box, it sat inside my room, resting on the carpet as it waited to be picked up and taken to a new house. I prevent myself from sighing out my disappointment. Just, a normal week.

My eyes flick towards the window. The window is the most popular mean of escape, I could use that. Of course I'd probably die, c'mon I was two stories high, one jump, and splat. No, the front door was the only way. "Oh Angelo! That's wonderful news!" Marvels a woman from downstairs. I roll my eyes and swiftly slip through the door, "Yeah, well not for everyone, lady." I bend to my knees, crawling on my hands, through the empty hallway.

The target was just ahead and all I had to do was shift and slip around to get to the door. I study every person passing it, most in elegant dresses and fancy suits and tuxedos. I crawl to the top step, and crouch as I hold onto the stair rail. I wait patiently for people to move away, waiting for those who just stood around to just man up, and talk to somebody.

Mr. Freckle Face, sure had trouble doing exactly that, he stands there awkwardly with a drink in his hand.

Once I decided that no one was looking, I step down a few steps. Please don't look at me, please don't look at me, please don't look at me, I silently chant inside my head. "Angelo!" A man greets loudly. I gasp and stumble, eventually losing my footing and falling back on my bum. I panic and return back to the top. Someone saw me, someone had to have seen me, I just know it!

"So proud of you my man!" Somebody says. I quickly scan the huge crowd, and soon, I'm staring at my family. The Greene family. I watch them all stand like they're whole, happily ignoring that I exist. Though it wasn't all their fault I wasn't standing there with them.

They did tell me about the party. But I'm still not sure if it was their way of inviting me, or a way of telling me to scram. What really put me on the edge, wasn't the fact that I afraid of someone else seeing me, but I was afraid of having them see me.

Just watching them made me feel queasy, both of hate and worry. Angelo's white teeth practically blind the passing cameraman. My step-fathers brown hair was gelled up so much, the light bounced off of it in every direction, and it was so hard, that the entire house could fall on top of it and his hair still wouldn't budge. How could my mother possibly love running her fingers through that? I shudder.

I sadly turn my attention to Mary, my mother. Her bouncy blonde hair looks as if it were woven with only the finest golden threads. It was as if it shined on its own, the light wasn't necessary at all. Any man would be lucky to have her, anybody but Angelo. I'd even let my real father, the man who abandoned us, come back.