My Tears Meet the Ocean ~ Ch5

"Hi sweetie!" My mother squeals. Her entire face covers the computer screen. Dad pushes my moms shoulder, "Ava! Ava! Can. You. Hear. Me?!" He shouts slowly. I scoff and shake my head. My parents are so lame! "Dad, mom, just slowly back away from the camera and sit normally."

They sit back and my mom frowns, "Don't speak to us in that tone, young lady. This girl acting like she owns us," mom turns her head towards my dad. My dad grins and slides his glasses over his long nose, "I'm telling you, it's your fault she's like this."

"Oh what?! It is not!" My mom starts, I feel an argument coming. "Giving her so many toys all the time when she was only six! Face it Phil, you spoiled her" my mom pokes at my dad's chest. My dad practically laughs at her but stops himself, "You were the one who showed her the glorious wonders of the mall!"

My eyes switch from each one that complains about me.
"You get her a dog every two months!" My mom starts
"You've bought her over a thousand clothes!"
"You never helped me enforce a curfew!"
"You let her go out with unhinged boys!"
They both glare intently at each other and then simultaneously say, "YOU WERE THE ONE WHO INTRODUCED HER TO WINE!..."

I shut my eyes and purse my lips. My now silent parents, circle their heads towards me. "Ava, have you been drinking wine?" My mother inquires. I shake my head, and try to not make a sound. "Ava," my dad pushes. "No" I quickly mutter. My mom crosses her arms, "Then why are your lips red?"

I squeeze my arm and roll my eyes, "Maybe a little," I look away. Don't drink wine, kids. I throw my hands out and focus myself on the computer screen. "I'm sorry! I just couldn't help myself-"
"Young lady!" My mom snaps. I stop abruptly, surprised by her sudden hostileness. "How-how many times have I...told you to stop with that habit?" she stutters.

Her eyes glisten in the dim light of the cabin. I instinctively tense up. She hated it when I drank. I guess she was afraid I'd be an alcoholic or something, but I knew I wasn't. I couldn't be. I only drank twice a day and besides, people who are addicted to things never recover.

"Alright mom," I grimace and try not to make eye contact. My dad puts his arm around my mothers shivering shoulders. "When we get back home, no more wine!" My dad warns. That just gives me more time to prepare. After my mom calms down she smiles, "So, how's the beach house holding up? And how are your friends?" My lips stretch from ear to ear.

"Oh the beach house is great!" I fabricate, scanning the messy living room. I curl my toes when I see the shards of glass surrounding the T.V.
"Just great," my bare foot rolls a cup under the couch. "Ava, who's jacket is that?" My dad asks, leaning into the screen so that his pores become completely visible. My eyes narrow and I yank the jacket off the couch, "What jacket?" I apply. "The one I just saw" he sternly remarks.

Quickly, change the subject!

"Dawson Feller asked me out!" I blurt. My dad throws a hearty laugh, "Well, I'm out of here. Edna, you deal with that, bye sweetie!"
He uncomfortably shifts out of the chair he was sitting in, the live feed getting stuck and then returning back to its normal state. The door shuts and he's out of the room. My mom eagerly waiting for me to say more. I grin and swing my legs. "So! He asked you out!-"
"Yeah. Mom listen when you get home, you aren't really going to take away all the wine, right?" I interrupt. My mom shakes her head, "I'm sorry sweetie, but it's just getting out of control. You have a problem, and I probably can't stop you from ever trying to get your hands on it ever again, but...you just worry me nowadays."

I glare and look away, "Whatever, it's not like I can't get other people to buy it for me anyways." She opens her mouth, "Ava! I am appalled-"
"By my actions. Yeah, yeah, I've heard that speech before" I answer, putting the computer on the desk rather than my lap.
Good one
She shakes her head and extracts her held breath. "Ava Longing. Can't one of our conversations end without arguing! Ugh you're just like..." She stops herself and pauses.

For a moment I think it's the camera but then I see her bite the inside of her cheek. I shake my head and push a strand of curly back hair behind my ear, "Who mom? Who do I remind you of soo much?" I shrug. She clears her throat and leans back against her seat, "Nobody Ava."

"Oh would you just!-" the door slams open and my voice gets lost in the screaming outside of the room. My dad holds the handle of the door firmly but I only see his body rather than his head. "Edna, there's a problem" his voice shakes, as if he's trying to keep it normal.

I get on my knees so my face is aligned with the screen. "What-whats going on?" I ask. "Nothing dear" my mom stands up. "Edna the..." My dad starts mumbling low words and I try to make it out but the screaming just grows. "Mom? Dad? What's going on-"
"Nothing Ava, just a little bit of-" they suddenly stumble to the left and the computer slides along the desk. I gasp and grip the screen, now only viewing a part of my mothers yellow dress.

"Mom! Dad! What happened?!" I scream at them. My heart is beating quickly and my curiosity branches out. The lights flicker, and frustration comes into order as I can't see them. "Why did the lights do that?"
"Ava! We'll talk to you later just log off!" My dad orders. "No! Why are people screaming?!" Suddenly the boat lurches to the right and in a swift sudden movement I blearily see the shapes of their bodies and hear a loud thump and crash.

"EDNA!!!" My dad screams and the computer is thrown off the table crashing into the wall. My computer turns blue:
Connection Lost
I stand up and fall back into the couch. No no no no no no no, what just happened? "Mom!" I scream at the computer. The wind outside presumes to push wildly against the glass door. My eyes burn and my heads spinning. I grip my hair and cry, what happened to them?

Thunder erupts and I stumble backwards, startled. I whimper and grip my black jacket. "No no no, they're fine, they're fine! It's just a measly storm-"
The thunder rumbles and a huge flash of lightning strikes outside the dark sky, enveloping my house with the blue illumination. My house lights shut off and I'm lost in the dark. The sand is blowing outside and flying all the way to the city. I yelp and stare at the door, the rain hitting the fragile glass. Without thinking or stopping I run and whip it open.

"Daddy!" I holler. The heavy wind pushes against my body, trying to keep me back, but I push forward. "Mommy!" I scream with all my might. The sand pierces my skin, pinching it in every visible place. I shut my eyes and run towards the sea. It's thrashing. The black oily water looked like a sea of shadows, and the moon and stars were gone. My parents. My family! Gone!

I choke on my tears and fall onto the sand. Water droplets hit the tips of my fingers and I keep my face low, pretending the storm and agony didn't exist. I cried and thought only of my parents. I could have died on the spot. I could have drowned beneath the waves. But I didn't care anymore, not unless they were with me. I sobbed on the sand longing for my mother and father.

You could say that that moment was the hardest experience of my life, and I thought so too as I cried myself to sleep on the sandy beach. But it wasn't. Because when I had the dream. I just knew that there was going to be plenty more hits from life to knock me back down.