Running Shadows and Youthful Demigods ~ Ch16

Basil:

It's kinda funny watching an injured Alex limp off into the sunset.
I squeeze my arm tightly as I watch my companions go. We came to our destination, but that didn't mean we had to stay together...we didn't have to be each other's burden. I mean I got this far with help from two injured people, but I felt like I couldn't go anywhere without them.

Truth be told, the only thing that kept us reluctantly tied was the nightmare. Granted it wasn't the same one, but, it still counted. But did everyone have the dream? Is that how they're claimed? Or were we just the three freaks who will probably wake up in a few minutes and realize that this whole fiasco was only a dream. Oh my, did I just have an existential crisis?

"Basil Greene, what a pleasant surprise." The sudden voice sends me jumping and I feel my backpack hit my back once more. My nose scrunches in habit as I worry about my stuff falling out. Spinning around I face the same guy who greeted us at the entrance, the one who saved Alex from getting eaten by the snake dragon.

"Hey! Calm down, we're all friends here aren't we?" Perry holds up his hands. Friends. I'm not exactly an expert at this, but aren't friends supposed to know each other for at least longer than ten minutes. "Were those your friends? Ava and A.J?" He waves his hands.

"Ava and Alex, and yes. Well, we met a few hours ago, the dream we all had-"

"Woah! No, no you can't tell me or anyone else the whole story. At least not right now. You look pretty tired and...dirty, we'll get you cleaned up and I'll give you a tour of the camp later. Then we'll get you talking to Chiron first thing in the morning to explain your story. After that..."

Perry just droned on. I stare into his eyes and occasionally nod to pretend I was listening. It might have been important but I've been to summer camps before, pretty sure the only things I have to remember are showering quickly, and always bringing two swimsuits to the lake (don't ask.)

This seemed like a normal camp. Perry sticks his finger out in front of my nose, "-And remember! This is no normal summer camp. You could get very hurt, very easily. But just do the stuff I just told you to do and you'll be okay." Crap. "C'mon, I'll take you to get cleaned up and wear some new clothes."

I follow Perry through the groups of campers, I get a few stares but most don't seem to notice -or care, for that matter. Clinks of metal and armor sounded far away, it sounded like the noise you would usually hear from the background of that show Merlin. I clutch my shirt in pain when the face of Arthur Pendragon shows up, Arthur why?!

Perry explains the art of sword fighting in such a very calming way, he made it seem as if it were natural. But I've never seen someone hold up a sword in real life. Fencing matches? Of course. Angelo made it very clear that that was his favorite "sport." Angelo's voice starts forming in my mind but I repress the thoughts. Not now Cara -er, uh, Basil. You can think of home later.

But yeah, I've never seen someone ever wield a sword. "Is your name really Basil?" Perry asks as he sticks his hands in his pockets. I instantly freeze up, goosebumps cover my arms despite the summer heat. "No. My name isn't Basil, it's Cara. Basil is just my cover name so I could hide the fact that I'm the step daughter of the ever famous Angelo Greene."

Is what I wanted to say.

"Y-yeah. My mother was a pretty crazy person, You might even say she was mentally insane with all of the horrible decisions she made in life," I explain, looking down as anger floods my mind.
"Hey I hear ya." Perry says, "My father actually went insane. Was a shame actually, the man was so dedicated to the life of medicine, he grew curios to the point where he wanted to test on every human body,"