P Is For Painkillers ~ Ch12

Alex:
I unclench my fists when the rain starts pouring. A sprinkle of rain trails down my forehead, wiping away the spit that drips from the monsters beak. The gryphon stares at me as I try not to move, snapping its beak everytime I take a breath. I swallow, trying to clear my throat, "Be a nice cat bird thing...and we can go our separate ways." But my coaxing doesn't seem to help.

The gryphon squawks irritably and jumps off of the building. "Nevermind! I take it back!" I scream as its wings choppily fan in the air. I run in the opposite direction, stumbling over the black bag filled with money and resting my foot against the skateboard. I press my foot against the slippery gravel and push myself away. I guess that if a Greek god could have kids with a mortal, then a monster could be real.

I was just hoping that I wouldn't run into one anytime soon.

It squawks angrily behind me, sending harsh wind my way. I curl and uncurl my fingers, I wanted to move! I didn't want a skateboard underneath my feet, I wanted to do something! Yet if I was to jump off of the board, then I would most likely be torn to bits and pieces. I cease all breathing, all thinking, anything that can slow me down.

The board jumps off of the sidewalk and onto the road, sending a jolt of caution up my body. The cars honk and rumble when I pass in front of them, the traffic jams weren't getting any better with me in the way. "Move out of the way, jaywalker!" A man hoarsely screams from behind. The gryphon squawks behind me again, only this time it nips at my heels.

I throw a short cry of horror as its beak slides a small scratch on my leg. What kind of monster eats a human?! More importantly, what monster doesn't? I pant as the skateboard weaves through the cars and taxies, a cool liquid trails into my shoe.

My hand accidentally smacks against a bright blue car I ventured too close to. I hold it up and stare at it angrily, "What the hell man?!" When my board finds its way onto the sidewalk, I notice people staring at me, but they all just smile.

They smile at me and the loud screeching abomination that follows. Did none of them see what was happening here?! What is wrong with everyone today?! The gryphon squawks at me once more, but it instead turns into a low growl of seething frustration. The fear I had suppressed catches up to me, and every possible way that the gryphon could kill and eat me forms in my head.

Next thing you know, my elbow smacks on hard cement and my body flings to the ground. "Ha ha, mommy look! A puppy!" A little girl squeaks. I look up and see a food stained face girl, smile at the creature that catches up with me. I sit up quickly and turn around, watching the gryphon knock over parking meters and news racks. Bounding into every window that comes in its way.

"Shit." I curse. I stand up to take cover, but the little girl just watches with gleeful excitement. I could just leave her here to distract the monster, maybe she'll make a nice lunch for him. But a weird feeling surrounds my chest and I decide against it. "Alright. C'mon little kid, let's go before I change my mind," I tell her as I pick her up immediately and start running.

"But -puppy!" She protests, wrapping her arms around my neck. I run quickly with her in my arms, "Oh that's no puppy!" My feet stomp against the ground as I carry both of our weight. My heart races faster than my legs as I feel the pressure of wind beat against my back. He's closer.

I groan in agony and push a woman aside when the door of a candy shop opens, I set the little girl down and run ahead. "DONT TALK TO STRANGERS KID!" I scream at the toddler as I run. I gulp and push people out of my way, the monster snaps at me again. It's beak momentarily snatches the back of my jacket, slightly pulling me back. I yelp and try running faster.

That thing is strong! No one seems to take any notice of me, or intercedes to help. I stumble when a large feral rat jumps in my way,
Big mistake.
My leg kicks up behind me, giving the gryphon full access to snatch my leg. And the creature wasted no time to do exactly that.

It's thick and sharp claws grip onto my ankle, it yanks me away and I fall onto the rough cement. "Aaghh!" I scream when it drags me across the ground. The claws tighten when it lifts my entire bottom off of the ground. I take a huge intake of fear. I didn't know that this was to be my cause of death. I always though it would be at the hands of a human. Not at the claws of a Greek legend.

I feel the back of my hands scratch at the ground. I pick my head up, and get a full front seat to what the creatures plan was. The disgruntled gryphon slowly lifted me, but lingered as it tried to pick my body weight. His golden bronze wings flapped hurriedly in the air.

The gryphon squawks and growls, as it attempts to lift me onto the roof. My loud screams seem to fade into the dystopian noise of the city. The gryphon pushes itself to its limit one last time and pulls me up with a jerk. It's claws dig deep into my skin, ripping open my flesh and letting my blood mix with the rain. I whimper as my head snaps back, popping in the cold air.

Blood rushes to my head and I grow woozy at the spot. And yet just when I was about to give up, a newfound energy fills me as the gryphon pulls me closer to a ballpark. I find my strength and lift myself up, ignoring the sharp claws scratch my ankle as I try grabbing onto its leg.

My hands grope its furry leg, and I immediately grab onto it. It growls in anger and tries snapping at my wrist, stopping us from moving. We both linger in one place. It fights me off, trying to put me back in my former state. I lift my left arm, brushing my fingertips against its shiny feathers.

It's black beak grazes my arm. And it's feathery head tries to bite at my hair. "This...cut costs like...most of my gambling...money, freak!" Hell this hair practically pulls every chick I wink at.
My ankle pours blood onto the wet ground and my pant leg as well. The gryphon flaps its wing angrily in the sky as we slowly plummet down.

I angrily grasp its wings and stop it from thrashing. It gives me leverage and the gryphon lets go, I holler and fall onto the trees, the side of my body rubs against the gryphons greasy, slick fur one last time as I fall. I land on my back, my head throws against the ground and I lose all air.

I gasp and sputter, trying to roll over. Son of a bitch! My leg hurts. I sigh as fresh air touches my lips and fill up my lungs, my heart beats rapidly. The squawks and purrs disappear, and I'm left with the rain touching my face. I keep my eyes closed, I knew that if I just ignored the fact that my leg was cut open then I wouldn't feel a thing.

But how could you possibly ignore the sting that comes with it? I open my eyes and sit up, but one look at my leg and I nearly faint. Three large slashes glide along my skin. Black red blood gushes from all three, and pour onto my pants and the ground. Dirt and sand stick to the sticky residue, stinging it much more than necessary. This was going to take so much time to fix up.

And I don't think there's insurance for gryphon attacks. If I had time right now, and Pamela and her guys found the money and didn't kill my family yet. Then that means dad can heal my ankle. And I could raid the cupboard filled with painkillers.

When I find rest, and find the courage to stand up once more, I pick myself up and get ready to go back home. I grin and clench my fists, and am about to walk. But I'm instead knocked back down by two girls.

And one, had no problem stepping on my leg.