I Get Promoted to Top Caterer ~ Ch4

"And I said, don't hate me because I'm richer than you!" Snooty laughter emerged from the small crowd of people. I rolled my eyes and held the tray up for them to place the Chardonnay on top of it. My feet trudge the ground, it was already 11:14 and Angelo hadn't given me a break.

I walk through the crowd and glance at Angelo as I pass by him and his two friends. His eyes said it all, a sweet mixture of judgement and hate. He turned his attention back to his friends and I scrunch my nose, walking forward.

"Waitress" a man waves at me. I walk over, but my interest arises as I see he's holding a camera, and Jenna's standing next to him. She sticks her tongue out at me. I squint, they want pictures of me? They never asked for a picture of me, the last time I got a picture taken was for the family portrait and when we moved in with the famous Angelo. The man holds up his camera, and I quickly smile, ignoring the fact that I'm wearing a dirty apron and holding a tray.

The man sighs and puts his camera down, "Damn lenses always smudging, go fetch me some red wine and a juice box for the little one-"
"Ms. Greene" Jenna corrects.
"Sorry, go fetch a juice box for Ms. Greene," he orders. I grunt and walk away quickly. Of course, I was the waitress, I wasn't the daughter tonight.

I willed back my tears and walked through the crowd. No one can see me cry, crying was a sign of weakness and fright, and I was not made up of those characteristics. Behind the scattered people and furniture, I spotted the group of women who laughed from a distance and the same evil woman who called me insubordinate, pointed at me. I stiffened and felt power will within me, my confidence growing back. "Hey! Why don't you just take a picture of me to go with your headline?!" I angrily tell them.

The woman stops smiling and glances across the room. I sigh and feel my heart tingle with suspense as I remember Angelo's words. Don't make a scene, Cara don't make a scene. I open my shut eyes and I walk away quickly. I feel their stares but still I am strong.

I bump into a lady when my thoughts fill my mind. I look up to apologize, but it's only my mom. She turns from her friend and stares at me up and down, she suddenly became the mean girls from my school. "Cara, what a surprise." My shoulders slump, "What a surprise I'm in my own house" I say flatly. Mary picks her head up and looks around. Oh, afraid someone's gonna see me talking to you, huh?

I don't know why Mary threw so many parties. She threw them for the dumbest reasons. When we get a new dog, when the house is remodeled, when she gets a pregnancy scare, the dumbest reasons. She looks back down at me surprised I was still there. "Didn't that man over there tell you to fetch the drinks, go shoo" she turns around.

I shake my head and make my way to the kitchen. I was at least hoping to see a little sympathy in her eyes. She used to show it when I was younger and Angelo would scold me, like she cared, but now she doesn't even try, doesn't even pretend. I stubbornly push the door open and go into the kitchen. It was lit now because the real help had come. And believe it or not, I wasn't supposed to be help.

The window was open and I felt the cool air come in. It was windy these days, and it had been raining, Spring showers I guess. What if I could go outside? It's quite simple, I could jump out of the window and never come back. "The drinks Cara!" Angelo screams from behind the door. My shoulders rise. As much as I wish they wouldn't, they'd unfortunately notice I was gone.

I poured wine in a few glasses, I opened the fridge but saw no juice boxes. "Aw man" I groaned. Jenna was going to freak, if she doesn't get what she wants then Angelo and Mary won't get what they want. Happiness. This was horrible extremely horrib...wait a minute. Mad Jenna...no party. A smile crept up on my face. This must have truly been a magical kitchen, because I too walked out with glee in my steps.