The Monster Part, Did Not Occur To Me ~ Ch10

Cara:

"It's fine, it's fine! Just a lame jump, right?" I comforted myself. Let me just say that you can't win an argument against yourself, if the debate is to jump off of a window. Yet my foot trembles as I lean it against the windowsill. When your step-father owns five different pizza places, and studies astronomy for his occupation, expect to live in a mansion.

It really doesn't matter if he loves or hates you, you will live in a big house if he gets paid enough. And that was just my problem. I can't jump off of a three story house. If Angelo could afford this because he was potentially famous and rich. Then I can't even imagine what Apollo owns.

I rested my gaze upon the wet, soggy, muddy grass that made up the world. If Apollo was brave and strong, then why couldn't I be? I don't want to admit that I'm a coward, no matter how hard I try to convince myself that I'm not. But if someone were to say I was, behind my back, and I found out...I wouldn't correct them.

The grey clouds move slowly towards the east. Although it had been stormy lately, the one last night seemed to have taken a toll on the world beneath it. Puddles filled the streets, mud covered the dirt, tree branches in the parks fell off of its tree. It scared me to think how powerful the gods are.

I gulp when I remember that I have to jump to escape. If I were to go downstairs, then there's a very high chance that my family would catch me and force me to stay here. But I just can't! Not when I have a whole other life to live. A different life, one where I could start from scratch. But still, doubts clouded the back of my mind...it could have just been a dream.

I step away from the ledge and readjust my backpack. "What's wrong with me?!" I cry out in my room, shutting my eyes as I stare up at the ceiling. I close the window and rest my hand on my doorknob, what other option is there? Both of my hands tingle, as if they fell asleep under my heavy pillow. I jump and hold them up, afraid that they would blind me.

But nothing came. The sun didn't fall onto the Earth, I didn't set the house on fire, my eyes didn't seem to light up the shadowed corner of my room. The only thing that happened was the realization that I wasn't as normal as I had thought. But I was entirely different...just as I had suspected.

I tried not to close my cloudy eyes, for if I did then that would mean that my tears would spill out and I would be crying. Crying was for the weak and frightened. Crying was as sign of weakness and fright. I felt my chest compact as I remember who taught me those words. Angelo Greene. My self pity hardened, and I slowly felt it turn into anger. "You cried last night too, Angelo." I mutter.

My feet twirl around and I make my way to my desk. If I was going to leave, then I was going to remind my mother that she didn't have to live in complete desolation. If I was to ruin someone's life, then I was going to save someone else's. I pull out a sheet of paper and write down what needed to be said. Don't get too nosy now, these are my thoughts after all.

Soon, as my pen strokes the last word. I fold the paper sharply and leave it on my bed, hoping she would care that I was somewhere else. Finding out about my heritage and how this all happened. I hesitantly touch the doorknob again, but nothing tingles or sparks. And with that I walk out of my room.

I sigh as I quietly walk through the hallway, breathing in the fresh potpourri and sweet cider.

The entire house is still and quiet, the vents immediately clicking off when my feet stop at the stairs. I shiver at the spot I sat in last night. I trail down the carpeted stairs, my head turning to the side just in case Jenna or Mary were awake. I'm not sure what happened to Angelo, it seemed as though he were going to be up all night. Maybe he was in the hospital by now.