Chapter 9- New Biginnings

I came home last night, and Hannah was sitting in the living room with her arms around her knees. She was probably worried I would never come back. I wasn't planning on it, until I hurt Ross last night. I thought the best choice was to come home and fix problems with Hannah first. She hugged me and apologized, then the mother in her came out, and she gave me a speech about never doing that again.

It's a new day, and they always say to let yesterday's pain drift away, but I didn't suffer pain, I made someone else suffer, and that, makes me feel like a jerk. I decide to pull out my phone and call Ross. It rings about five times, until I hear someone answer.

"Hey this is Ross." He says.
"Ross I-"
"Sike! It's my voicemail. Leave me a message!" He says, and theres a long beep.

"Ross, it's Laura. I'm sorry for yesterday, and I was just wanting to talk to you. Call me back. Bye." I say, and I hit the end button. I sigh, and throw my phone on my bed. He's probably mad at me. Great.

I turn around, and start to walk down the hall, toward the stairs, but I hear my phone buzzing. I turn around, but it was more like a jump. I run over to my phone hoping to see Ross's name, but instead, it reads Kayla.

"Hello?" I ask hitting the green button.

"Hey Lau!" She yells excited through the phone. I can't help but laugh at my childhood nickname. I forgot about it. I've tried to forget a lot lately.

" Hey Kayla! How are you!?" I ask just as excited as she is. It's my old best friend for crying out loud!

"I'm great! I was wondering, are you doing anything?" She asks.

"Nope." I say.

"Well would you like to meet Connor and I for lunch?" She asks. Who's Connor? Last I recall, she didn't have any brothers.

"Connor?" I ask starting to think aloud.

"You'll meet him soon enough!" She says with a little laugh. I laugh too.

"Ok. Where am I supposed to meet you?" I ask.

"Do you remember where Zach's is??" She asks. I immediately think about Ross.

"Yeah. What time?" I ask trying to shake the thought off.

"Is now ok?" She asks.

"Of course! See you then!" I say, and she hangs up the phone. I'm already dressed in jeans and a nice shirt, so it will be fine. I put my phone in my pocket, and sling my purse strap across my shoulder.

"Hannah, I'm going out." I yell in no certain direction, because I have no idea where she is. I don't take the time to find out, and I just slip through the door.

I decided to take Jack's truck. The one that I told Ross about. Another shot of guilt shoots through me. I don't blame him for not answering my calls, I probably wouldn't either. I sigh. What did I do? I ruined everything...

I catch something out of the coner of my eye, another car, and jerk to the right side of the road. The car honks at me, and I pull over to a stop. I need to keep my eyes on the road. I cross my arms across the wheel, and lay my head on it. I feel tears coming along, and I want to slap myself. Pull yourself together Laura. This is ridiculos. I sigh again, and look back up at the road. I pull of from the side, and start driving again.

**************************************************************************

"It's so good to see you!" Kayla cheers as she pulls me into a tight hug. I hug her back tightly. It's been too long.