Chapter 14- Secrets Make Lies

It's been about a week since last time Ross was here, and I'm meeting him at the house tonight. Our house. But ever since he left that night, Jack hasn't said a word to me, and I'm starting to get really worried.

Right as I was thinking that thought, Jack walks into the kitchen with me. We all just finished eating lunch, but I don't really know where Hannah is.

"Do you want a banana?" I ask Jack, while peeling my own. He looks up at me, and back down to whatever he's doing. It looks like he's sorting some type of papers.

This makes me mad, and I set my banana on the counter, and stand right in front of Jack, making him stop moving his hands, but still not looking at me.

"Why won't you talk to me!?" I ask. He silent, while keeping his eyes on the papers.

"Jack!" I yell becoming even more mad.

"What!?" He yells even louder than I did, making me take a step back. He finally looks up at me, and I see anger blaring in his eyes.

"Why haven't you talked to me for the past week!? It's getting ridiculous!" I yell back, defending myself.

"I'm not very happy with you. That's why." He says.

"Why!?" I ask for the third time now.

"I know you lied to Hannah. The worst part is, you acted like it didn't bother you. We're your parents, Laura. Have you ever heard of respect?" He asks like I'm stupid. This pushes me to the breaking point.

"Respect? Really? Coming from the guy who would never tell me anything about my real family. Where's the respect there? You could have respected the fact that it was MY family, and it's MY business." I say, almost yelling again.

"That has nothing to do with what I'm talking about." He says.

"Then tell me what it is!" I yell. Jack snaps his fingers, and points at me.

"Laura, I am your father. You will show me respect. You will not yell at me." He says so strongly, that if you couldn't see him, you would think it's the voice of a fighter. Or someone very brave, but all the years I've been with Jack, I still don't know him enough to tell if he is what they consider, brave.

"Now, I think you know why I'm not happy with you." He says.

"No, actually, I don't." I say. Jack lets out a sigh of frustration, and anger.

"You lied to Hannah." He says.

"When!?" I ask more confused now than angry.

"Last week. She asked if someone had came to the house, and you told her no." He says. His words echo through me like it would on cave walls. Did he see Ross? Did he see us together? Us kiss....

"Who were you with?" He asks.

"I wasn't-"

"Don't lie to me." He says cutting me off.

"I heard you guys from the hallway." He says. I sigh. I know what I have to do.

"I was with Kayla." I lie. A pain of guilt stabs me right in the stomach like a punch.

"Kayla?" He asks.

"Yes." I lie again.

"The girl you went to school with?" He asks.

"Yes." I say again.

"Oh. Well just make sure you ask next time." He says, and he walks out of the room like he doesn't even care.

I look at the clock above the stove, and it reads 3;56. I was supposed to meet Ross at the end of the driveway at 4:00. I grab my brag,, and run to the front door.

"I'm going out with Kayla!" I yell from the door, and shut it. I turn around, and look at the end of the driveway to see Ross's truck setting there, and a smile comes to my face. I jog out to his truck, and I climb over into the passengers side, as Ross takes off.

"I would have walked out and opened the door for you, but I didn't want your parents to see it was me, and not the person you probably told them you were going with." He explains. I nod.

"How long have you been out here?" I ask changing the subject. I hate the idea of lying to people, so the last thing I want to talk about is the lie I just told to Jack and Hannah.

"Only about five minutes. I didn't want to be late, but I didn't want to be too early." He says smiling at me. I only laugh at how perfect he's thought everything through.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When we get to the house, I look around and notice that he finished painting, and all the tarps on the carpet are gone.

"You finished painting?" I ask looking around, and taking the smell in of fresh paint.

"Yeah. I thought it would be a nice surprise." He says with a cheeky grin. He walks up and stands next to me, pointing at the floor.

"The next thing I think we should do, is take up the carpet and replace it with hardwood flooring." He says.

"Just like all of those fancy homes." I say spinning around, looking at the room picturing the beautiful floor added with the pretty walls.

"Yes." He says laying down on the ground looking up at the ceiling. I walk over, and lay down next to him. He wraps his arm around me, and we stare up at the ceiling.

"Come on, this ain't no view." He says standing up, and grabbing my hand to lead us outside. He grabs a blanket by the doorway, and spreads it out on the grass. We both lay back down, and go back to the same position we were in laying down on the floor of the house. He has his arms wrapped around me, and I'm leaning into his chest, while looking from the stars, and down to him. I study his every feature, from the way his hair moves very little in the light breeze, to the way his eyes sparkle in the moonlight. Again, I notice how handsome he is.

He catches me looking at him, and he looks at me. He stare into each other's eyes, not saying anything. Most people would say this was awkward, but it's not. It's the type of silence where you feel like you can read each others thoughts, or you feel like there is a connection forming between you both, it's a silence that's nothing else but perfect.

"Can I ask you something?" He asks.

"Of course." I say, not looking away from his eyes.

"Do you regret it?" He asks.

"Keeping it a secret I mean." He adds
before I could answer anyway. I stare at him confused.

" You think I would regret it?" I ask. He shrugs his shoulders.

"Girls are hard to read. Most of the time, I can't tell if you enjoy it, or if you don't want to do it." He says. He smiles a little, and right then he leans in and gives me a peck on the lips, causing me to blush and to smile.

"But at times like right now, it's easy to tell that you obviously enjoyed it." He says winking at me. I laugh a little, and roll my eyes at him. He sighs, and stands up.

"It's getting dark, so I better take you home." He says holding out his hand, and he helps me up.

"Ok." I say.

"But one more thing." He say catching me before I turn to walk to the truck.

"Yeah?" I ask.

"I love you." He says, and he leans in for a kiss. He kisses me slowly, and passionately, like he always does. And once he finishes the first, he kisses me again. We both smile into the kiss, and he pulls away.

"With all of my heart." He says kissing the top of my head.

"That will be enough." I Hear a deep voice say from the darkness. Shivers go down my spine at the sound of the voice.

"I thought I could trust you the second time, but it seems like that was a lie too." He says, and I don't take my eyes off of Ross, and he does the same to me. I don't want to look into Jack's eyes.