Chapter 25- Phone Call

I wake up to the sound of the highway right out of the bedroom window. It's not something I'm used to, but it's something close to the hospital. We decided to rent an apartment, because it would probably be easier. It's only about 5 minutes away from the hospital.

I slide my legs off of my twin sized bed, and walk out of my bedroom into our tiny kitchen. I look around to see no sight of Hannah. She's probably already at the hospital. Ever since we go here early yesterday morning, she's been there non stop. I'm sure she's trying to figure as much out as she can about Jack. I know I would if it was Ross.

Ross. I miss him so much already. I kept telling myself over and over while we were broke up that I was fine, and that I didn't care about him. That is the most I have ever lied to myself. No matter who it is that you've just gotten out of a relationship with, no matter how many times you deny it, you care for them. Sometimes you care for them even more after because it all starts to settle in what you just lost.

I've always heard the saying, either you never loved them, or you always will...
In this situation, I think I always will.

The sound of my phone buzzing brings me out of thought. I run over to my phone, to see a familiar name pop up on the screen. I smile to myself, and hit the accept button.

"Hello?' I ask into the phone with a smile even though I know he can't see it, I still like to pretend that he does.

"Good morning, Beautiful." He says causing me to giggle.

"Oh my gosh!" He says, and it kind of scares me at first.

"What?" I ask a little worried now.

"That was the cutest little laugh I have ever heard! Do it again!" He says making me laugh, but not do the same giggle. I roll my eyes at him, just wishing he was here to see it.

"You're ridiculous." I say and he laughs too. It's silent for a moment, and my smile fades.

"It's only been a day, and I miss you like crazy." I say. I hear him sigh through the phone.

"It feels like there is a piece of me gone, and it can't be filled until I'm back with you." I explain. It wasn't until after I said it that I sound like I'm quoting some romance movie.

"That part of me leaves as soon as you pull away from our goodbye hugs. But I just know that it will come running back as soon as you're back in my arms, or holding my hand." He explains, and this brings a smile to my face.

"I love you." I say.

"As I love you." He says, which only makes me smile even more.

"To the moon and back!" I say and he laughs.

"Well, I love you to the next planet and back!" He says causing me to laugh.

"Mars?" I ask.

"Sure!" He says laughing too.

"Well I guess we can tell what class you got an F in." I say joking around.

"Yeah. Math, I never quite understood Geometry!" He says and I roll my eyes again.

"I'm rolling my eyes at you right now." I say.

"Only because you love me." He says.

"Dream on." I say.

"I only dream about you! Come on Laur, get with the program!" He says, and I sit down on the coach blushing, and being so thankful he's not here to see it.

"You're blushing aren't you?" He asks chuckling.

"Am not!" I say laughing a little too.

"You're not a very good liar." He says, and I roll my eyes again.

"Anyway, guess what!" He says.

"What?" I ask.

"I have all of the house plans planned out!" He says, and I smile.

"You can't do it all by yourself though!" I say.

"It will be fine! I hope that it can all be finished up soon! Like before you come home with Jack!" He says, and the thought of Jack's name makes my smile disappear from my face.

"Ross..." I start.

"Yeah?" He asks. All of the humor and laughter has faded away from the sound of his voice.

"What if Jack doesn't get better?" I say, and Ross sighs.

"Don't say that. Have faith that he will. He's a strong guy." Ross says. I nod, even though he can't see me.

"But what if he wakes up, and he makes us separate?" I ask. That was the last thing that happened before all of this... He told me to not be with Ross,, and he forced me to leave.

"We'll work that out when the time comes." He says.

"Ross, this can't just be a little secret forever. Even if something happens, and Jack doesn't remember, or Hannah doesn't find out, we're going to have to tell them eventually, before they find out on their own.... like Jack did." I explain, and Ross sighs through the phone. He knows I'm right.

"Let's just focus on the present, and worry about the future when it comes. I'm sure everything will be fine, and besides, Hannah wouldn't break us up now." He says. Maybe he's right. After how long Ross and I have been together, and how much we've been through, I don't think Hannah would take us away from each other.
I sigh into the phone.

But what if he's wrong? What if Hannah does separate us because of how long we've kept it secret? She would be so disappointed in me...
We have to tell her.

"Ok." is all I say.

"I love you." He says.

" I love you too. " I say with a smile. I wish he was here so I could she his.

His smile makes me laugh every time. It's so cute! He shows his teeth, and not many boys do that. It's a real smile, and you know that you see him smile, it's because he's truly enjoying things. He's truly enjoying life.
I can't help but to smile even bigger just thinking about it.

The door bursts open with a panting Hannah standing in the door frame. My smile fades away as a look of worry and confusion comes across my face.

"Hannah, what's wrong?" I ask. She mumbles something at first, but because she's so out of breath, I can't hear her.

"Hannah, calm down." I say walking closer to her. I rest my hand on her shoulder.

"Now, what's going on?" I ask. She takes a deep breath.

"Jack's awake." She says finally making herself clear.

I drop the phone.