01 | a maid

❛ ╯˚✧ . ˚ ⚘₊

"Um hello, nice to meet you, sir." I stood up and bowed to him. He looked down at his sister, and she smiled at his presence, "Who is this?"

"She is Y/n! She is my friend, Ayato...she's been looking for work and a place to stay, could we please offer her a job?" Ayaka begged her brother. It seemed a little too awkward to join in so I kept my head down and tried not to bother Ayaka's process in convincing her brother.

"Can she clean? Work perhaps?"

"I...I think so! She braided my hair for me, did you see?"

Ayato looked at his sister's hair and smiled, "It's beautiful, I've never seen your hair braided like this before, Ayaka." Ayaka grinned, she looked at me for a moment then turned back to her brother, "She has a lot of experience and there is one other reason I want to hire her..." She got up and whispered something into her brother's ear.

He nodded as if in consideration and then agreed, "You're hired, Y/n. You may start tomorrow at five AM strictly, Thoma will help you in the mornings to clean the courtyards then you may begin cooking breakfast. I'm very glad to see that Ayaka has made a new friend in the time that I was gone."

"Yes, Master Ayato!" I bowed over and over again in gratitude. He sat down beside Thoma on the opposite end of the table and helped himself to the food that had been laid out. 

Ayaka beamed for the rest of the dinner.

"Y/n, please help Thoma to clean the dishes," Ayato stood upright then left with his sister. Ayaka smiled at me then waved goodbye shortly.

"Alright, Y/n! It's so nice to finally have another person to do this with!" He picked up the table and started the warm water in the kitchen sink where I washed the dishes and scrubbed down every part of the utensils and plates and napkins fiercely.

Thoma and I talked to each other while we worked, conversations came up about foods we enjoy from our home nations (Mondstadt & Liyue!), the weather and what it was like to play in the sun with neighbourhood friends, then dogs and cats.

"Y/n? Have you ever been in love?" He asked suddenly.

"I...um, no. Not really. I've never felt it before."

"Oh, I've just been wondering a few things about love. It's confusing and I thought I'd ask someone with experience. Anyways, scratch that."

"Who are you in love with?"

He paused in hesitation, "She's really really pretty and even though we barely know each other yet, it feels like I'm meant to be with her."

"Maybe you are meant to be with her, you just have to ask your heart then start talking to her," I shrugged and continued scrubbing down the plate, "It's all part of the process!"

"I...When I started talking to her it felt so different from talking to M'lady or anyone else, like I just wanted to hold her, embrace her, and keep her safe forever."

I just laughed and the room was silent for a few moments.

"Sorry! I didn't mean to make everything seem so awkward, what were we talking about before this?"

"I don't remember. I finished cleaning the dishes, is there anything else to do?"

Thoma shook his head, "The table has been cleaned off as well, I believe we're free to head to sleep now."