12 | a stone

❛ ╯˚✧ . ˚ ⚘₊

In my past lives, when scrapes of my memory would glue together, I'd begin to feel less emotion around people.

At such a young age, I never thought I'd be able to remember anything from my last life.

Maybe it is because being reborn inside of a clan of the same commission is triggering.

Still, I don't understand why it's never different when you smile at me like that. I've felt emotions...over and over...they become boring fragments of a painting that is easy to forget.

Once, I was even told not to treat humans like paintings.

But getting bored of a single person was never this hard.

Ayato hands me a pebble the size of a caterpillar's cocoon and beams, "Look! I found the stone, now will you marry me?"

I laughed and touched his nose, "You want to get married? First, you have to catch me!" I lept up on my feet and let him chase me around all afternoon until I was tired and I hid behind a tree, giggling to myself.

I sighed, I hoped he would never lose interest in me. Was that too selfish?

Suddenly, I heard voices.

"We've got the boy, the girl is tied in the back and her mouth is stitched on one side."

I cupped a hand over my mouth.

I'd heard of the Fatui attempting to test their products on children! I had to keep Ayato and Kazuha safe!

I ran out of the tree and found Ayato scampering away already, thinking I had gone away with Kazuha. It was a good thing that he had left, but I had to find my brother.

I thought I saw someone grab my brother from behind and drag him away but it turned out to be another village boy because, in the end, I couldn't scream.

A hand had already cupped over my mouth so that I would be hushed dead silent.

I struggled to break free.

We were lined up alongside a cliff, I thought of ways to escape but my only option was to jump off the cliff and hope to find a ledge...

That or expect death early.

My eyes widened as the first man came into view, his eyes the color of an ivory white, his mouth covered by a fabric material, and my lips thinned at his gaze.

I backed away, feeling the edges of my shoe graze the edge of the cliff.

Should I fall?

I decided not to, because of how painful of an experience it would bring not only my brother but also Ayato...

I stood upright and stepped forward only for someone to push me backward.

I fell off the cliff.

I tumbled, I bashed my head against the ledge of a giant rock and blue spots covered the sky, creating holes in my world until everything was a giant hole.

❛ ╯˚✧ . ˚ ⚘₊

My head pounded the moment I woke up, something wet dribbled down the side of my cheek.

"Y/n, are you awake...?"

"I-Is it already morning?" I rubbed my eyes and stood up on my knees, the sun barely peeked from in between the curtains.