02 | a burn

❛ ╯˚✧ . ˚ ⚘₊

"Collapsed? Is Master Ayato alright?!" I soothed Ayaka as Thoma took Ayato into his bed and Ayaka attempted to follow but I assured her that her brother would be okay.

"I think he has a fever, his face went red and suddenly he muttered 'forgive me,' and collapsed..."

"Okay, calm down, I'm sure there's something we can do for your brother--"

"Y/n," Thoma interrupted and I perked up at the sound of my name, "Master Ayato is asking for your company." 

Thoma took over taking care of Ayaka while I drew away from her and started up the stairs.

Everything felt natural until I came to the door and stopped with a halt then hesitated before twisting the doorknob and bowing when I entered.

"Master Ayato."

"Y/n, I am very ill..."

I circled around his bedside and took the cold cloth Thoma must've been preparing and laid it over his forehead. Ayato seemed peaceful even in his restless state, his tilted eyelids and smooth skin were even more miraculous when he lay down.

"It's no wonder you're ill, in between commissioner meetings do you ever take time for yourself?"

He shook his head slightly.

"Work is a never-ending sequence, sometimes resting and refuelling can be held off but when it really needs to be done, you must continue with a full tank. Do you even eat much in between your schedule?"

He eyed me curiously, "Why...why do you care so much?"

I was silent for a moment.

"Because in my old life, I was always ill in the same way you are right now," I answered. He nodded respectfully then gazed at the ceiling for a few moments before reaching for my hand and taking it gently.

"Y/n, we all have secrets, don't we? From the moment your eyes met mine I could tell you had locked pages behind those delicate eyes..."

I inhaled slowly.

"I'll tell you my secret. You may never find the trust in me to keep your secrets but for some reason when I look into your eyes I feel like I could pour an entire ocean into them and you'd stay afloat through anything."

"Master Ayato, does this mean that you trust me?" I questioned.

"I am too wise a commissioner to trust just anyone, but if it's you, I do."

Another momentary silence passed until the room was quiet enough and the curtains had softened their movement in the open breeze that came through the windows.

"I came home early for a reason, I wanted to rest for the first time in many months, but it seems that even when I am home I do not find the time for myself."

"Why? What happened?"

"As soon as I got home...many people informed me that there was work to be done within the Kamisato Clan's borders and I couldn't quite concentrate very well so I took up a pen and began writing letters to other Yashiro Commission clan officials."

I stared at him pitifully.

"It was only when I awoke the next morning just in time to receive a good breakfast then to hear that the maid that I'd hired last night was a merchant from Liyue planning to steal the luxuries of the Kamisato Clan, it was then that I had to rethink things and suddenly collapsed."