Chapter 12: 'War'

Carnage, pain, and suffering are side effects of battle. The ground cracked asunder; bodies lay in dust clouds as I stood vigil over them, Kobayashi and a small human girl at my side. All of us with similar thoughts running through our minds. How, how could this come to pass? Well, it all began one day prior as I sat in my living room drinking a cup of coffee.

Tohru moved about in the kitchen, humming to herself as she cleaned up that morning's dishes. Setting down my dirty bean water on the table, I let out a content sigh. It had been several weeks since our little shopping spree, work was still the usual, Tohru was still being Tohru, and Kanna was enjoying her schooling as far as we could tell. The little dragon even making a friend we've met a few times before, though we now had a few visitors within the apartment from time to time.

F/N: Lovely coffee, as usual, Tohru.

Quetzalcoatl: Agreed, this isn't half bad; you're the best Tohru.

Tohru: Aw, thank you two!

She said in a chipper tone before putting everything away, then heading outside to deal with the laundry. The elder dragon smiled slightly as she looked over at Kobayashi and me, my sister sitting across from her at the kitchen table.

Quetzalcoatl: Sorry I keep dropping by lately; I don't mean to be a bother.

She said as my sister shook her head.

Kobayashi: No need, you're just checking up on Tohru.

Quetzalcoatl: Huh, how'd you know?

She asked, looking over at me as I spoke.

F/N: Well, you aren't the only one, though you have two reasons, don't you old man.

I said, my tone growing sharper as I looked down at Fafnir sitting on the floor, the old dragon had died yet again in playing dark souls. His glowing red eyes looked back at me while remaining silent for a few seconds before responding in an equally sharp tone.

Fafnir: You might have sealed yourself off from most of your power, but that doesn't mean something won't force its way out. Plus, I'm bored of this game.

He said the dragon, much like his less abrasive counterpart, had been popping in every so often under the guises of 'playing our games.' Though I knew his true intentions well, least he wasn't yelling at me after I sealed a majority of my magic away. Tension obviously still lay between us, but a mutual ground kept us from each other's throats, Tohru.

Kobayashi: Yeah well, least you two aren't fighting.

She grumbled a bit as Fafnir put another game into the console, my sister getting up to wash out her mug as the front door opened.

Kanna: We're home!

F/N: Ah, so you survived hell another day, how was...hey what happened?

I said in a chipper tone, leaning back on the couch before seeing the look on Riko's face. Tears rolled down her cheeks as the two walked into the apartment; my sister's face also shifted into worry as she set her mug in the sink and walked over to them.

Kobayashi: Hey, you both ok? 

Kanna: A dual.

She said, and almost a second later Tohru walked back into the room, her and Fafnir's faces into ones of battle-hardened rage.

Tohru: I shall assist you!

Fafnir: And I shall kill!

F/N: Hey! Both of you take a chill pill, Kanna what started this, 'dual'.

I said, getting up from my spot and moving over next to my sister, Riko still tearing up behind the small dragon as she spoke.

Kanna: Well, it all happened when we were walking back from school. Riko wanted to stop by the park first, but then it started to go wrong.