Chapter 23: Little Matchstick

Ah, the winter season, a time of brisk winter air, layers of fluffy white snow, and warm hot chocolate. Though, the most ceremonious of all was X-mas, something that had Kanna's eyes sparkling as she learned about old saint nick and Tohru, less so about the origins considering her past with the origin of the holiday. This left the apartment in a cheery mood as small decorations littered the common room.

F/N: You know, it's going to be a lot more hectic with the dragons around this year.

I said from my spot on the loveseat, a nice cup of hot coco clasped in my hands as I looked at my sister, who nodded a bit as she settled back with her cup in hand, still warming up in her winter jacket.

Kobayashi: Yeah, but it'll be a welcome change. Tohru could probably cook a better ham than you.

F/N: Oh, I am offended. Do you think so low of my holiday cooking?

I said playfully, putting a hand to my chest and gasping; all the while, my sister just snorted before sipping her coco again.

Kobayashi: Maybe, though I fear Tohru might try to cook her tail if we don't catch her.

F/N: Ah, she hasn't done that in a few months, but speaking of the devil.

I state as the door to the apartment opened up with Tohru and Kanna returned from the market.

Tohru: We're back!

She called while heading into the kitchen, Kanna following right behind as she helped carry the bags. As she was shelving all the food, Tohru had a goofy little grin on her face, something I caught on to after she finished up and headed our way.

F/N: Hey Tohru, what's got you so gitty today? Was there a deal at the shopping district?

Tohru: No, but I was asked to take over preparations for a show at the senior center. Mr. Kong broke his foot, so he asked me to represent the district!

She said with an excited giggle, the dragon's tail swooshing side to side as she spoke. My sister smiled softly while setting her cup down on the table.

Kobayashi: Well, good for you, and we'd love to help but work always gets busier this time of year.

F/N: Yeah, but we wish you the best of luck getting the show on the road honey.

Tohru: Hehe, thanks! Now you both don't need to worry about me. I have everything already planned... at least who I'm asking for help, that is.

She said, her giggle dying down a bit while rubbing the back of her neck. Shaking my head slightly, I set down the coco and walked over to her, giving the dragon a soft peck on the cheek.

F/N: Well, whatever you decide to go with, I'm sure it'll be great.

Tohru: Awww, thank you!

Tohru said happily before pulling me into a tight hug; the others smiled softly at us before the dragon pulled away.

Tohru: Well, you three relax a bit; I'm going to make us dinner.

Kobayashi: Ok, now then, Kanna, want to help me pick out something for us to watch?

My sister asked the smaller dragon, who nodded, plopped down at my sister's side, and started flicking through the channels with her. I also returned to my seat and to my coco for the evening, contemplating what exactly my girlfriend had planned for this ordeal.

However, that little brainstorming would come to fruition the following night when my sister and I returned from work. Both of us doffing off our coats as we entered the apartment. We saw Kanna dressed in a white and pink dress with a scarlet red hood. The smaller dragon quickly trotted over with a basket in her arms upon seeing us.