Prologue

In a time before the present day, an old war raged in a world unfamiliar to most. A war against dragons and humans, monsters and man, but not against one another, but united against the destroyers of nature. The Black dragons, forces of nature beyond anything seen before or since. A faction of their own, not of chaos or order, but an insufferable need to subjugate every living thing under their might. Many served under the three prominent members of this order, all led by an old and mighty dragon calling himself what would later be the name of the species, Fatalis. He led alongside his kind and that of Alatreon and Dire Miralis. Cutting swaths of land belonging to humans and dragons alike. They killed all those who would fight or refuse to join. Two of the minion members were those of the Nergigante and Gore Magala.

One able to weaken the powers of dragons, and the other able to turn lesser beasts mad. So, their rampage spread, claiming more and more land and leaving fields of bodies where they walked. Though as with all great evils, they were defeated. An alliance of humans and dragons of both orders fought against the forces of the Black dragons. Bit by bit, for over hundreds of years, they fought, many were lost on both sides, but freedom prevailed. The Black dragons were driven to near extinction alongside those that fought at their sides. However, many who fought in that conflict wanted nothing more than to see every last species of that old order whipped out. And so, some dragons and humans hunted down the remaining members for centuries to come after. Fleeing to the edges of the known world to escape their wrath, the remnants of the Black dragon order disappeared from the planet.  Though few did stay, suppressing their instincts and hiding in plain sight, some hermits in mountains or dense forests, others found love and started a family. One of these families would find itself a peaceful life in a village.

In the continent's plains, a farming town lay nestled in the gentle hills. A large man with spiked black wings, a muscular scaly tail, and a pair of horns curving out of his forehead walked along the dirt road. A hoe in hand as he was making his way home from working in the fields. Upon entering the outskirts of the village, he was stopped by a smiling human, dressed in similar attire to the man.

Seth: Afternoon, Oryx.

Oryx: Afternoon Seth, going out for work?

Seth: Yup, another easy day for you, I'm sure.

Seth said as Oryx chuckled to himself, nodding as he looked back towards the vast sea of wheat that cast the hills in a golden hue.

Oryx: Helps when you can pull a plow by yourself.

Seth: Yeah, that strength of yours is something, Mr. dragon.

Oryx: Yeah, sure does...

Oryx looked away a bit and sighed. Though his gaze returned to the human as Seth put a hand on his shoulder.

Seth: Ah, I don't believe all the stories. It doesn't matter what you may have done; it's what you do now that matters. Least in my eyes, you've already done a lot for this place, not like anything's going to happen with you around.

Oryx: Thanks, still up for cards later?

Seth: I got coin riding on it; tavern as usual?

Oryx: As long as there's mead I don't care, have a good day Seth.

Seth: You to Oryx.

The two shook hands before heading their separate ways. Seth headed out to the fields while Oryx walked back down the road to his home, a small cabin sitting alone on a hill. Making his way around to the side, Oryx put his work tool against a shed, smiling as he saw his wife stood in the doorway of their home.

She was human, but that didn't matter to him; her long blonde hair and brown eyes looked as beautiful as when he first met her. Her smile sharing that sentiment as it warmed the man's heart as he walked over and kissed her cheek.