Chapter 17: Convention

The sun shined overhead, a cool breeze blowing through our hair as before us lay a horde, all with a single-minded drive like drones, Comic-Con. A fact that was not lost on my sister and I as we waited near the back of the line; however, the resident dragon could just stare in shock as she looked out over the endless heads of people.

Tohru: I've never seen so many humans in one place before, all of this to cover Mr. Takiya?

F/N: Not covering, assisting. His two assistants collapsed, so we're here to help him.

I said, glancing over at her as she nodded and pumped her fist into the air.

Tohru: Well, with my power, I'll be able to exterminate them in no time!

Kobayashi: Please don't.

My sister said blankly as we started to make our way past the horde and inside the massive convention center with our IDs; Tohru glanced over at us with a slightly worried expression.

Tohru: By the way, do you think it's alright to have left Kanna at home?

F/N: Yes, there are things here that a child should not have to see.

My sister only could nod as I shuttered. Tohru gulped slightly while walking through the front doors and past the sprawling lanes of tables that covered the center's floor. It was easy enough to find Takiya among the tables, the man letting out a sigh of relief when he spotted us coming over.

Takiya: Thank you guys so much; I'd be totally screwed without any help.

Kobayashi: It's cool. We owe you enough favors at this point.

Takiya nodded while Tohru looked around puzzled, before looking at the man.

Tohru: I'm surprised you didn't ask Fafnir to help you out?

Takiya: Ah, well, he's participating in the circle.

He said, my sister and I blinked in surprise as the words struck us.

F/N: Really, Fafnir is selling art, let alone drew anything?

Tohru: Um, I'm confused. What's a circle?

She asked, glancing around for a glimpse of the old dragon. All the while, Takiya explained the concept of selling drawn art to fans and his sudden inspiration after all the human culture Fafnir had taken in. Though Tohru nodded, and he moved on to the jobs we would be doing for him, my attention drew to someone across the massive building. He didn't look like anything out of the ordinary, simply an older man probably in his early fifties, but something deep in my gut told me otherwise. Nonetheless, my trance was broken as my sister nudged my shoulder lightly.

Kobayashi: F/N, earth to F/N, you in there?

F/N: Y-yeah, I'm here. What did you say again?

I muttered, looking back to find the man gone among the other stand owners and workers. Shaking my head, I looked back at Takiya, who nervously chuckled.

Takiya: I asked if you could go with Tohru to help with the line.

F/N: Oh, yeah, sure.

I said, rubbing the back of my neck sheepishly before taking the poll with Takiya's manga title written on a sign. My dragon companion moved over next to me, another look of worry forming across her face as I hefted the poll up.

Tohru: F/N, are you ok?

F/N: Yeah, just...I'm not sure.

I said; before Tohru could say anything else, though, the whole building began to rumble, shaking the very ground under our feet. Tohru's head darted around for the source, then, with wide eyes, watched as the title wave of people that were waiting outside stormed in on mass, filling the convention center in a matter of seconds. This rush quickly led Tohru and me to make our way outdoors, trying to keep a semi orderly line of people to the stand. Thankfully, the people here promptly followed our instructions for our sakes, to an almost scary degree of compliance.