Ch 1

Jingle.

The tiny bells strung up on the door jingled softly as you pushed it open.

Before you was an empty, hollow shell of a building. Abandoned in haste, littered with trash and dirt, riddled with stains from god knows what, and skewered with unmistakable marks of a fight: bullet holes, sharp gashes in the walls, blood splatters.

It was shabby and disgusting.

But to you? To you, it was perfect.

For obvious reasons, nobody wanted the place. Therefor, the place was cheap.

Well, it certainly wasn't inexpensive, but it was indescribably cheap for the size of the place. The previous owner told you that it used to be an old clinic.

It was too small to be a hospital but too big for a local doctors office. An odd  mash of rooms and multiple floors. It was perfect. 

You work as a self-proclaimed renovator. Tricking people into buying heaps of garbage covered in a thin veil of luxury is your specialty. You buy pieces of shit like this one, clean them up, make them look brand new as cheaply as possible, and then sell them for as much as the rich fucks are willing to pay. Sometimes, if you're lucky, you'll get two people interested at the same time and it's a contest of who has more money. Sucks for the idiots buying, but heaven for you. And this dump? Oh yea, this place was hella promising.

You took a deep breath and a smile grew on your face. However, it didn't last long. The dust that had been accumulating over the years sent you into a sneezing fit. As you exit the building to clear your sinuses, you hear the sound of tires on rocky concrete and look up. 

The familiar color of the motorcycle brought an unwelcome sense of dread that clenched your heart before you had the chance to look away.

Footsteps approach as you sigh softly, raising your gaze from the ground and meeting the stony gray eyes of your girlfriend.

"(Y/n)," she says disconnectedly.

"Andromeda."

Neither of you wanted to be here.

"I, uh. I heard you finally found what you're looking for. Is this it?" She tucks her helmet under her arm and takes a look at your ramshackle building.

"No." You grab her helmet and pull it back over her head. "Let's go."

You had no reason to lie to her, but this was something you'd rather keep to yourself. She didn't deserve to share the happiness you had felt moments ago. Besides, Andromeda wouldn't be able to fully appreciate it anyway.

"Fine," she says shortly, walking back to her bike. You hop on behind her and give your new prized possession a parting glance.

Andromeda takes a breath in and opens her mouth to speak, but no words ever come out. She closes her lips, deciding that whatever she had to say wasn't worth it.

After a minute of silence, you look over her shoulder. "Are we waiting for the magic genie to fly us home or are you-"

"Are you really going to act like this," she snaps, her fists clenching the front of her motorcycle. It didn't take much for either of you to get annoyed anymore.

"Like what," you ask in mock innocence.

"Never mind," she mumbles before starting the vehicle and peeling out of the parking lot.    The ride home was silent. The kind of silence you can feel. Draining, humid silence. Neither of you say a word upon reaching the apartment complex. Nor when the two of you walk into your shared apartment. Not a word during cooking, over dinner, after dinner, while washing the dishes. Nothing at all.